Author Topic: Very confused - config problems? win7x32 and ED  (Read 1134 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
I am very confused.  I have a netbook that I have used all last season for testing using xlights and a USB dongle flashed with pixelnet.  Now I am trying to test with the etherdongle.  Win7 x32, xlights 2.b  I have communicated with the etherdongle using xlights 2a so I know te ED works.  My networks show as follows (I no longer get a number choice like I did in previous versions of xlights but the config window still indicates select a row by number to change it).

I have one active hub with 8 SSCS controlling 8 flexstrips for this test.  Everything works perfect with the usb dongle.

e1.31  multicast   1    512
pixelnet  com3  n/a    4096

When I bring up xlights and select the middle selection of "Schedule & Test"  I get a scheduler window, but no tester option that I can find anywhere.  Something is wrong, but I do not know what.  In 2012a I get the tester window, but get an error when I bring it up that says that dmx only supports 512 channels., but I can still turn some lights on with the tester, but not all of them.

Will try with my new Win7x64 laptop while waiting for any ideas from this group.  I am just starting to load all my Christmas stuff on the laptop.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Very confused - config problems? win7x32 and ED
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, »
Found the test function, but still do not get the whole universe to come on.  I am under the impression that a pixelnet universe is 4096 channels and I only have 2880 channels in use.  Yet I do not get the the whole universe available in xtester even though I have configured one universe.  Or does E1.31 follow DMX conventions and only give you 512 channels per universe.  I am still confused. Now running on my new win7x64 laptop with the ETD direct connected to the laptop.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, »
I have added 16 universes on the e1.31.  By doing a select all on universe 1 I can make the first section of lights twinkle using twinkle 25%,  If I select all on universe 2 the next section starts to twinkle but universe 1 stops twinkling,  The same goes as I go across and select each subsequent Universe.  Is there no way to make all the lights come on with the same test at once?  Now tat I now I can communicate i am going to move on to other isses like programming, but I sure do not understand this.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, »
Last year it was limited to testing one universe at a time.  I'm guessing thats the case still.  I haven't used the latest version this year yet.  Last year you did have to add each set of 512 channels, I believe, for the E1.31 etherdongle ... but for the DMX pixelnet flashed dongle, you could add all 4096 as one.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, »
I have added all 16 sets of DMX universes for the ED, but I cannot get more than one of them to run within the tester.  I have been running some nutcracker vix files I created, but I obviously have something set up wrong since the patterns I am playing back on m tree sure do not match the patterns that show up in the gifs that Sean generates.  I remember that he said that with the changes made in the last two weeks we would have to go back and regenerate the vix and vir files so I have some work cut out for me now.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA