Author Topic: Finally updated firmware AWESOME/ slight problem  (Read 5561 times)

Offline urthegman

Hello all, I finally got around to flashing my etherdongle with the new firmware and was ECSTATIC to see a 45 degree line of pixels on my 10 x 90 node matrix that used to stay on and give the wrong colors go out. I loaded a sequence with just the effects for the matrix and it played back PERFECTLY!!!!! I then loaded a complete sequence with the same exact matrix effects in it and on playback, the effects are extremely jittery, almost like a shimmer or twinkling effect where there shouldn't be one. I loaded the sequence with just the matrix effects up again and the effects are once again solid. I tried 2 other sequences with all effects and I get the same jittering/shimmering problem. Any ideas? George
P.S. Forgot to mention I am using LSP on a Windows 7 I7, 8gb ram machine. and I am posting this issue on LSP's forum as well.

Offline rm357

Finally updated firmware AWESOME/ slight problem
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, »
What address range are you using.

I noticed that the ETD seems to stutter if there is nothing going on in the first 512 channels. It's on RJs list to look at, but I think the conductor has been a much bigger challenge than anticipated...

The firmware that has the boundary pixel problem doesn't stutter, but now you are trading one issue for another.

I think if you put some fades on channel 1 so that it is always changing, it will fix the stutter issue...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline peteandvanessa

Re: Finally updated firmware AWESOME/ slight problem
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, »
I have a similar issue and can't figure out whether it's a S/W issues in LSP (throughput), or a HW issue (throughput).

I am also pushing about 5000 channels through the Etherdongle and out to the LED Flexstrips via two 16 port active hubs and on my more complex sequences I experience stutter and sometimes lights lagging the music. I can confirm that I do have effects that are changing in the first 512 channels, so I know it's not that.

Offline urthegman

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I noticed that the ETD seems to stutter if there is nothing going on in the first 512 channels. It's on RJs list to look at, but I think the conductor has been a much bigger challenge than anticipated...

The firmware that has the boundary pixel problem doesn't stutter, but now you are trading one issue for another.

I think if you put some fades on channel 1 so that it is always changing, it will fix the stutter issue...

RM
I am using channels 129-3548, My expresses will be on the first 128 channels which all have effects on them but I haven't hooked the controllers up for testing yet. I will take the boundary pixel problem over this any day!  ;)  Do you think hooking the 8 Lynx expresses up might help the stuttering? I don't understand why when it's the matrix by itself I don't get the stuttering. Many Thanks, George

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, »

RM
I am using channels 129-3548, My expresses will be on the first 128 channels which all have effects on them but I haven't hooked the controllers up for testing yet. I will take the boundary pixel problem over this any day!  ;)  Do you think hooking the 8 Lynx expresses up might help the stuttering? I don't understand why when it's the matrix by itself I don't get the stuttering. Many Thanks, George

If you mean will hooking the 8 Lynx Expresses help the issue, then my guess is no, since the PC and the dongle should be sending that data, irrespective of whether there are "live" expresses on the output

Offline urthegman

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, »
So I guess it's go back to the v1 etherdongle firmware?

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, »
So I guess it's go back to the v1 etherdongle firmware?

I haven't looked at my version of the ETD firmware, I'm assuming I'm running version 1 (what's the difference between 1 and 2?)

Offline rm357

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, »
Here is a video to demonstrate the differences in the firmware. Left is old EtD, right is current. Lower left corner of tree starts at 100, last address is 2308, star follows and sign is something like 3370-4095. White pixels are stuck (early pixels not very waterproof).

Only difference in the two runs is the EtD firmware. Everything else is the same.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, by rm357 »
Robert

Offline urthegman

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, »

RM
Also, since I always use channel 1 to set my timing marks, it always ends up with effects. It's a shame because after seeing it eliminate the boundary pixel problem and work so well with just the matrix I was ecstatic!!!! I won't get a chance until tomorrow afternoon to try the full sequence with the v1 firmware until tomorrow afternoon.

Offline urthegman

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, »
Really BAD news!!! I just reloaded v1 etherdongle firmware and tested a full sequence for the first time and playback is jittery using  THAT as well. Ugghh!!!  When I play a sequence with just the matrix or just the snowtubes playback is perfect. The only thing I can see is in LSP the snowtubes DMX pro output says not configured yet I am getting output to them. Another strange thing is that in devices I see the 4 DMX clones but I DON"T see the 4 port usb hub they are attached to. Could the unconfigured output or the hub not being seen(even though I have output) by the computer be causing the shimmering/jittery playback? Thanks, George

Offline urthegman

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, »
To make matters even worse, the first 128 channels of the Matrix are now featuring Madrix effects!!!! <fp. (They're not supposed too!)

Offline rm357

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, »
Playback from within LSP... How fast is your computer???

I would export the file
Install xlights, if you haven't already
Use xlights to convert the sequence to an xseq file
Play the xseq using xlights.

I don't know about the new version of LSP, but 2.0 uses a lot of resources. If you are playing thousands of channels, that could be your problem.
Robert

Offline rm357

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, »
I missed the part about the USB hub. LSP won't see the hub - that should be transparent. However, better make sure it is a usb2 hub and recognized by the computer as a usb2 hub.

Usb1 is limited to 12Mb (megabits) or 1.2MB (mega bytes) per second. With USB overhead, that might get you 2000 channels before you start loosing data due to the USB limits.

Usb2 is 480Mb - you should not have any issues there...
Robert

Offline urthegman

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, »
Playback from within LSP... How fast is your computer???

I would export the file
Install xlights, if you haven't already
Use xlights to convert the sequence to an xseq file
Play the xseq using xlights.

I don't know about the new version of LSP, but 2.0 uses a lot of resources. If you are playing thousands of channels, that could be your problem.
Firstly thank you for your help on this. It doesn't seem to be a speed issue as the effects are perfectly on cue, just shimmering/jittery.  I'm thinking there is some kind of interference going on since on their own the effects play perfectly. With the exception of the first 128 channels on the matrix being jittery when Madrix is on(when I shut Madrix down and play a matrix only sequence) and the first 128 channels of the matrix playing Madrix effects when I play a Madrix effects only sequence. I'm thinking it has something to do with LSP not being able to configure a controller correctly for the Enttec DMX pro,DMXUSBPro or Lynx DMX USB protocols. As I said before I am able to get output, but it shows up in output configuration as not configured. I'm thinking LSP sees the  4 Enttec pro clones I am using as it gives me the option but not the ability to configure comports 12,15,16 and 17. There was an issue with LSP using comports higher than 10 last year, and I am not sure if that has been repaired in v2.5.  As far as xlights goes, FrankR was kind enough to include me on his beta test of converting LSP sequences directly to .xseq so I can give your recommendation of trying to use xlights a try. Oh and I just checked the USB hub and it is a USB2 hub. Thanks and feel free to drop any other recommendations my way, as your advice/input is always top notch. Thanks, George

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
RE: Finally updated firmware AWESOME/ slight problem
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, »
How are you connecting the dmx controllers". Are you using dmx out of the pixelnet hub?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express