Author Topic: Need Help With Addressing E1.31, Etherdongle (DMX), 12 LOR CCRs + Pixelnet  (Read 3228 times)

Offline dearvbguru

So here is my situation.  Last year I had 12 Cosmic Color Ribbons and did the sequencing in LOR and Superstar.

This year I am using a bunch of pixels and smart strings in addition to my LOR CCR Tree.

I will be getting multiple etherdongles and conductors and slaves from the COOPs so I want to configure all the LOR stuff to use DMX so I can use the conductor.  My pixelnet hubs will be filled so I wont be able to use the DMX outputs on them because I want everything unique and want to dedicate an etherdongle to my CCR tree since it fits nicely in this situation.

I will not be using any macros on the CCRs so each will only have 50 RGB channels for 150 physical channels.  This will allow me to put three on one universe and will leave some extra unused channels at the end of each universe which is fine so I wont run into any universe boundary issues with part of one CCR on one universe and part on the other since this wont work.  Since each Etherdongle will put out 4 DMX universes I will be good as long as I use a combiner in reverse to split out the 4 universes from the single CAT5 output of the etherdongle.

I am confused about the addressing in LSP for this.  I want to have my DMX universe logical channel start much higher than my pixelnet stuff to allow my pixelnet stuff to grow and know that the physical DMX universe only deals with channels 1-512 on each universe. 

Physically I will have

CCR=1     DMX Unv=1     DMX Start=1     DMX End=150
CCR=2     DMX Unv=1     DMX Start=151 DMX End=300
CCR=3     DMX Unv=1     DMX Start=301 DMX End=450

CCR=4     DMX Unv=2     DMX Start=1     DMX End=150
CCR=5     DMX Unv=2     DMX Start=151 DMX End=300
CCR=6     DMX Unv=2     DMX Start=301 DMX End=450

CCR=7     DMX Unv=3     DMX Start=1     DMX End=150
CCR=8     DMX Unv=3     DMX Start=151 DMX End=300
CCR=9     DMX Unv=3     DMX Start=301 DMX End=450

CCR=10   DMX Unv=4     DMX Start=1     DMX End=150
CCR=11   DMX Unv=4     DMX Start=151 DMX End=300
CCR=12   DMX Unv=4     DMX Start=301 DMX End=450

I can sequence all my DMX stuff in a separate file and export it to the conductor format for those channels but the export wants the channel numbers to be unique so it doesnt combine effects from multiple channels to the single output channel (understandably).

I have tried a couple of options but things dont look right.  From what I see I have two different options for starting channel numbers when I add an E1.31 controller. The first is on the dialog and I was assuming this would follow pixelnet for the unique starting channel for all the channels in the controller.  The second is an option when I change the controller type to RGB controllers since thats what I am doing controlling each pixel on the string as an RGB channel.

So what I am asking is which route should I take and what options should I enter..

A. Add an E1.31 controller for each CCR with a channel count of 50 RGB channels and when switching to RGB set address on that dialog to the above start address 1, 151, 301?
B. Add an E1.31 controller for each universe with a channel count of 150 RGB channels (with unused buffer at end) with start address of 1 for each universe?
C. Add an E1.31 controller with all 2048 channels for the etherdongle?  If so then how to combine certain channels to RGB and ensure that the 4th, 7th, and 10th controllers start with address on Red channel?

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, by dearvbguru »

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
Just a suggestion, you might get an answer quicker if you post your question on the LSP site.
Thanks
Mike

Offline peteandvanessa

I have a smiliar set up as you.

I assigned a controller for each of my flexstrips

e.g 1st Flexstrip 120 nodes = 360 channels LSP addresses are 1 - 360
 2nd Flex Strip 120 nodes = 360 channels in LSP, address 361 - 720 etc etc

Then you need to take into accound the DMX

See how I set them up in this thread here:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
I had a major problem last year trying to convert CCR's from LOR protocol to DMX. Read everything LOR documented and it would not work, Later after taking my display down, I got a reply from LOR Tech Support with my answer here is what you need to do to make the CCR's work with DMX Mode.

This includes using LSP.

1. Go into the LOR hardware Utility and bring up each CCR to do two things, One is to assign a LOR ID and the other is to turn off the Macro Mode, if you leave the macro mode on it will affect the channel numbers assigned to the CCR.

For each CCR use these ID's for each Universe. LOR assigns everything in 16 channel blocks.

CCR#1 set to ID 01. This will automatically assign channels 1-160 for DMX.
CCR#2 set to ID ob (OB). Channels 161- 320.
CCR#3 set to ID 16. Channels 321-480.

Make sure you have DMX Mode as "RBG Channels ONLY" for each CCR.

In the "RBG Channels Only" mode LOR assigns the first 150 channels like you want them and leaves the next 10 channels open, remember everything is 16 channels blocks.

If you leave the "Both Macro and RGB Channels" as your default, then what LOR does is assign the first 16 channels for the Macros, even if only 7 channels are used for macro effects, and the first CCR pixel is channels 17.

After finding out this information in Jan of this year I borrowed an Etherdongle (DMX) and setup my CCR's and was ecstatic to finally see them operate in DMX for the first time.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, by Dennis Cherry »
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
Are you planning to run one conductor and one slave?  Are you sure the slave will output 4 universes of DMX?

Or are you trying to connect two ED to the network?  I am not sure that option is supported or at least I am not sure how it would work.

In LSP, you can create a controller for each CCR, Universe or just one controller.  Persoanlly, I do one controller per element.  If you have many controllers, this can be a pain when you export to conductor since you will need to choose the controllers to export each time.

Assuming for a min that both the conductor and slave output PixelNet.  In LSP, you should have basically two shows each with channels mapped 1-16384.

When you export the conductor file, select the controllers for the conductor.  Export again and this time select the controllers for the slave.  It will not matter that the channel numbers between the conductor and the slave maybe the same because they will be exported as two seperate files.  Keep in mind the conductor will playback one data stream and the slave will playback the other.

When you seting a controller as RGB, each row will have 3 channel numbers assigned to it.  For example (1,2,3) (4,5,6)  You get to set the starting number plus you can always override the channel number for each if needed.

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
In LSP, you can create a controller for each CCR, Universe or just one controller.  Persoanlly, I do one controller per element.  If you have many controllers, this can be a pain when you export to conductor since you will need to choose the controllers to export each time.

I have a ton of controllers, so when you said this my heart dropped. But then I thought I would just create another controller that had all the channels in it and just select that one. I believe this would work. All my channels are Pixelnet so I would only need one. More may be needed in you are using more protocols.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, by dpitts »

Offline dearvbguru

I had a major problem last year trying to convert CCR's from LOR protocol to DMX. Read everything LOR documented and it would not work, Later after taking my display down, I got a reply from LOR Tech Support with my answer here is what you need to do to make the CCR's work with DMX Mode.

This includes using LSP.

1. Go into the LOR hardware Utility and bring up each CCR to do two things, One is to assign a LOR ID and the other is to turn off the Macro Mode, if you leave the macro mode on it will affect the channel numbers assigned to the CCR.

For each CCR use these ID's for each Universe. LOR assigns everything in 16 channel blocks.

CCR#1 set to ID 01. This will automatically assign channels 1-160 channels for DMX.
CCR#2 set to ID OB. Channels 161- 320.
CCR#3 set to ID 16. Channels 321-480.

Make sure you have DMX Mode as "RBG Channels ONLY" for each CCR.

In the RBG Channels Only mode LOR assigns the first 150 channels like you want them and leaves the next 10 channels open, remember everything is 16 channels blocks.

If you leave the "Both Macro and RGB Channels" as your default, then what LOR does is assign the first 16 channels for the Macros, even if only 7 channels are used for macro effects, and the first CCR pixel is channels 17.

After finding out this information in Jan of this year I borrowed an Etherdongle (DMX) and setup my CCR's and was ecstatic to finally see them operate in DMX for the first time.

Ok good to know.  I knew some of this about turning off the macro modes so only pure RGBs, however, the blocks of 16 would have caused me some problems.  I will take that into account and readdress when I configure the CCR controllers and readdress in my LSP template.

Thanks,
Steve

Offline dearvbguru

Are you planning to run one conductor and one slave?  Are you sure the slave will output 4 universes of DMX?

Or are you trying to connect two ED to the network?  I am not sure that option is supported or at least I am not sure how it would work.

Assuming for a min that both the conductor and slave output PixelNet.  In LSP, you should have basically two shows each with channels mapped 1-16384.

When you export the conductor file, select the controllers for the conductor.  Export again and this time select the controllers for the slave.  It will not matter that the channel numbers between the conductor and the slave maybe the same because they will be exported as two seperate files.  Keep in mind the conductor will playback one data stream and the slave will playback the other.

When you seting a controller as RGB, each row will have 3 channel numbers assigned to it.  For example (1,2,3) (4,5,6)  You get to set the starting number plus you can always override the channel number for each if needed.

From what I remember RJ saying in the videos this is how you would have a show with more than 16384 channels, by setting the conductor to have the first 16384 and then the slaves with each next chunk of 16384 channels in your display and then you export each section to conductor files and would load those files (different files, same name so would need to account for this when exporting or putting on the individual slaves).

I will have multiple etherdongles using the sync pulsing built into them.  The actual setup I will have is first etherdongle with conductor as pixelnet running first 16384 channels going to 4 different hubs, second etherdongle as slave with pixelnet running (16385 to 32768 logical but again 1-16384 physical pixelnet) going to hubs 5-8, then third etherdongle running as DMX outputting DMX channels 1 -2048 (four universes).  Each universe will have three color ribbons on it and will leave some spare channels at the end for regular LOR 16 channel controllers (running in DMX mode) as well as Cosmic Color Floods (again running in DMX) and possibly regular DMX LED flood lights.

I have the highest level of LSP so most channels I can sequence is 32768 so my pixelnet stuff will be in first file and DMX stuff will be in second sequence file and will export 2 from first and one from second.  I wanted to start the DMX logical addressing at 49153 channel in LSP so that I could easily add another 4 pixelnet universe in the 32769-49152 range and use my fourth etherdongle there for pixelnet next year.

I got 5 etherdongles , 2 conductors, 3 slaves.  Plan is to have one etherdongle for spare / backup in case any thing happens to one of them.  As currently planned would have one conductor in use and 2 slaves in use leaving a spare conductor and a spare slave in case anything would happen to one of them.

Not sure if its right yet or not without etherdongles and conductors  / slaves to test but in the second file (DMX mode only for now), I just created  more channels like my pixelnet stuff using the appropriate starting address and only 50 RGB nodes per controller ( I will have to address the required 16 block address boundary as in other post) using E1.31.  Then in my output plugin configuration I am assuming that I would go 1 to 32 universes per the etherdongle then add a second 32 universes (1-32 but the start addresses would be from 16385), and then a third 32 universes (1-32 but start addresses would be from 49153).

Hoping this makes sense to anyone thats reading and trying to help.

Steve

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
Wow, that's a ton of channels.  How are you programming all of those channels?  Would love to see some screen captures.

This is my understanding.  Each Conductor/show is running a different "show" each synchronized to each other.    In LSP, you could have a sequence per conductor/slave allowing you to overcome the channel limit.  Each "show" has channels 1 - 16384 and runs on a different conductor/slave.

The one question I am not sure about is if a slave unit can output DMX.  Technically it is possible, just not sure if RJ is releasing firmware for that.

Finally, have you seen the following document on setting up LSP? 

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Greetings,,,

The slave unit puts out channel info just as the Conductor.  If you have an active hub, it will put out DMX just the same.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues