Author Topic: How about a new sticky  (Read 2058 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
How about a new sticky
« on: October 08, 2012, »
As the messages for Nutcracker keep growing it getting harder to find things.  I would love to see a new "locked" sticky called status.  I suggest a locked sticky so that others do not post in it and clutter it up with questions.  In it Sean could list what is working and what is not.  I have been trying a lot of effects lately and some work, but some do not.  Also having problems with the gallery and I recall that there were some issues when it was last updated changed, but I do not remember the latest status.  Maybe having a locked sticky would help us find things more easily and I would be less tempted to PM or post on issues that were known as not working or having issues.  Just my 2 cents.  While I have things I want to get done I also want to see Sean have the time to get his own show up and running.  It is now crunch time IMHO.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
Re: How about a new sticky
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
As the messages for Nutcracker keep growing it getting harder to find things.  I would love to see a new "locked" sticky called status.  I suggest a locked sticky so that others do not post in it and clutter it up with questions.  In it Sean could list what is working and what is not.  I have been trying a lot of effects lately and some work, but some do not.  Also having problems with the gallery and I recall that there were some issues when it was last updated changed, but I do not remember the latest status.  Maybe having a locked sticky would help us find things more easily and I would be less tempted to PM or post on issues that were known as not working or having issues.  Just my 2 cents.  While I have things I want to get done I also want to see Sean have the time to get his own show up and running.  It is now crunch time IMHO.

Jim, i have added a new screen that will show the status of Nutcracker. All known bugs will be shown there.

under the main menu it is under the Help item.

here is a direct path to that report

hopefully people wont need to raise issues on known bugs.

ill work to kkeep it current

thanks
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, »
I have major problems with the gallery, but you are showing no known problems.  I have not been able to copy an effect recently.  And still need a way to get the gif associated with something in the gallery.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, »
jnealand,

I threw the gallery together using JSON.  Is it possible that you have javascript turned off?  One thing I did not take the time to do (and need to) is show you a message if javascript is turned off.  Ultimately, I need to program a non-javascript dependent version of this that will have some of the functionality (if not all).  I will try to figure out what is causing your issues.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, »
I have major problems with the gallery, but you are showing no known problems.  I have not been able to copy an effect recently.  And still need a way to get the gif associated with something in the gallery.

I have dug into the issue and it appears my lack of error checking had an unforseen effect of entering blank effect names into the effect database.  If you select an effect that has a blank effect name, it just acerbates the issue.  I added code to both only select effects for the gallery that are non blank and I have added error checking on copy submit to make sure you have typed in something for the name (I may change this to take the original effect name by default, if you don't type in a name. What do you think?)

It may take some time for Sean to commit these changes to Meighan.net, but they are submitted to Github.

I have also requested that we delete all the blank named effects in the database.

Kurt
------

Offline smeighan

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, »

I have dug into the issue and it appears my lack of error checking had an unforseen effect of entering blank effect names into the effect database.  If you select an effect that has a blank effect name, it just acerbates the issue.  I added code to both only select effects for the gallery that are non blank and I have added error checking on copy submit to make sure you have typed in something for the name (I may change this to take the original effect name by default, if you don't type in a name. What do you think?)

It may take some time for Sean to commit these changes to Meighan.net, but they are submitted to Github.

I have also requested that we delete all the blank named effects in the database.

Kurt

Changes are released to meighan.net

Kurt, one small item. After doing a copy, i am brought to the project screen instead of back to the gallery screen. Is that happening to you also?

thanks
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, »
Sean,

Yes.  I need to fix that.  Let me take care of that tonight and I will have it submit to the gallery page instead of the project page.

Kurt
------

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, »
The gallery is working on my desktop.  Will have to go check the laptop.  However if I filter by snowflakes I get a number of entries but the gifs are all blank.  Same with layers.  I have been reviewing by selection a qty of 500 and then filtering by effect type trying to find effects that I like and can learn from.  Some of them when I copy and then apply to my model do not look anything like what is shown in the gallery.  For instance look at dpitts-MyBarber and then generate the mybarber in my logon for my pixel stree.  I did not change anything in the effect yet they are totally different.  In fact none of the spirals that look similar to the one just mentioned generate anything like that.  Is that the difference between a 180 tree and a 360 tree or something else, since I get a number of error messages when I generate those type of effects?
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline smeighan

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, »
The gallery is working on my desktop.  Will have to go check the laptop.  However if I filter by snowflakes I get a number of entries but the gifs are all blank.  Same with layers.  I have been reviewing by selection a qty of 500 and then filtering by effect type trying to find effects that I like and can learn from.  Some of them when I copy and then apply to my model do not look anything like what is shown in the gallery.  For instance look at dpitts-MyBarber and then generate the mybarber in my logon for my pixel stree.  I did not change anything in the effect yet they are totally different.  In fact none of the spirals that look similar to the one just mentioned generate anything like that.  Is that the difference between a 180 tree and a 360 tree or something else, since I get a number of error messages when I generate those type of effects?

so here was dpitts mybarber

32 strands by 50 full 360

and here is yours after you copied it,  your target is 16strands by 60 half megatree

be aware if your target string is exactly 120 pixels then i assume you have a flexible strip with vertical spacing of 1.3".
for every other type sof RGB string i assume 3" spacing.

This , of course, only applies to my animated gif, makes no difference on the output files for the sequencers

i will go and look at spirals. in your tree, it look slike there are 6 spirals instead of 3. i think when i made the code only look at the actual strnads, it may be making 3 strands over half a tree which would be 6 over the entire tree. that would be wrong.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, by smeighan »
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, »
I guess that means that I can never see an effect like dpitts generated since I only have a half tree.  Unfortunately my spouse likes that effect and so do I.  Well maybe next year I can replace my big mega tree LEDs with smart strings.  Would layering be able to produce to spirals going in different directions?
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline smeighan

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, »
I guess that means that I can never see an effect like dpitts generated since I only have a half tree.  Unfortunately my spouse likes that effect and so do I.  Well maybe next year I can replace my big mega tree LEDs with smart strings.  Would layering be able to produce to spirals going in different directions?

i consider a bug to have 6 spirals instead of 3.

ill fix it, wont take too much effort

and use, layers is the way to get spirals going both directions. as you see by the status page, i still need to fix layers, snowflakes, gif, pictures.

Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, »

i consider a bug to have 6 spirals instead of 3.

ill fix it, wont take too much effort

and use, layers is the way to get spirals going both directions. as you see by the status page, i still need to fix layers, snowflakes, gif, pictures.

Sean,

I think that is cheating.  You give the poor guy a solution (use layers) and then tell him, oh by the way, layers i broken! LOL.  Sorry, couldn't leave that one alone. *smile*
------

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, »
Ken the gallery problem is on my new laptop.  I do have Java installed and am using Chrome.  Is there something different I need for javascript?  I do not have any scriptblockers setup that I know about.  When I look up javascript in the chrome extension library there are lots of javascript stuff, but I have no idea what any of that stuff is.  I am not a programmer and do not pretend to be one.

Just for grins I tried it in IE and it still does not work.  I'm running Win7 x64 with 8gb ram on a core i7.  This machine is only about a month old.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, »
Hmmm,

Well I have run it on  IE, Safari, Opera, and Firefox without issue.  This is from MAC OSX and from Win 7 and win XP.

I fixed some of the error checking on the code earlier today.  Did you download the latest from Github?  Or are you using the version on meighan.net?

Kurt
------

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, »
Eventually I will download a version, but I consider it to be too changeable at the moment.  I run everything online.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA