Author Topic: Etherdongle issues  (Read 5201 times)

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
Etherdongle issues
« on: October 10, 2012, »
Hi all, like many I am to having issues with my etherdongle. The green led turns on. The mag jack yellow light turns on sporadically prior to using LSP output. When I turn on output in LSP and play a sequence the mag jack blinks every now and then. No light output to LED'S.
I assigned an IP address, not sure if I did that correctly but I have connection with etherdongle. Attached are pictures of my etherdongle.
Sebastian from California

Offline MrChristmas2000

Re: Etherdongle issues
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, »
Can you outline your testing procedure.

What program did you use to try to test? How did you configure that program? etc.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, »
I bet the Etd is fine just not setup with LSP.  To output stuff I was fooling in a sequence with I had to highlight a section of the ribbon to output.  If that doesn't help, try xlights or vixen.  Then maybe a crossover cable, static IP, and confirm output config LSP for Etd. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, »
I agree with zw, try xlights first to verify the ED is working. That's what I did and then through trial and error I got the ED to work with Vixen and LOR.

Offline sabie

• Santa's Runway
    • Santas-Runway-Christmas-Lights-Display
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, »
the yellow led should almost (rapid flashing )be solid when you are playing a sequence
 i would try a crossover cable and connect directly to computer ethernet port

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, »
If the lights lit at all, then it's not a crossover cable issue.  The yellow light is the data light and it will blink while the PC attempts to talk to it.  Before going crazy, download xlights and set it up.  It is probably the easiest to get going with the EDT.  Once it is configured, go into test mode and enable a full universe and run one of the test modes.  You should see the yellow light blinking much more rapidly.  If it does, then it is receiving data and the next step will be to check the ET output.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline sebjsan

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, »
I will try some of the suggestions mentioned above and write up detailed outline of my testing procedure when i get home from work.
Now what is a cross over cable and where can i get one.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, »
Mine worked fine without a crossover cable but that will depend on your computer.  Newer computers do not seem to need a crossover.  If you were to make one yourself one end would have a type A end and the other would have a type B end.  Not sure where you could find one locally and it would depend on the type of stores you have available to you.  If you have IT guys where you work or IT friends I would ask them about a local source.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, »
You can get a crossover cable at Staples but as said before, if the green and yellow lights on the jack are lighting up, then you don't need one.  Newer computers or rather, newer Ethernet ports, have auto-negotiate cpaabilities where they can assign the transmit and receive pairs along with the speed of the connection.  The ETD does not have this capability so if the PC doesn't either, then a cross over cable would be required.  The easiest way to see that is if nothing lights up whn you plug the ETD into the PC. 

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, »
If your Ethernet port can handle 100Mbps, there's a good chance it doesn't need a crossover.
If your Ethernet port can handle 1000Mbps, it's almost certain it doesn't need a crossover.
It depends on if your Ethernet port has Auto-MDIX
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, »
And if it didn't, then no lights would light.  If you connect like components with a straight thru cable and if at least one of them doesn't have Auto-MDIX, the connection will not be seen and neither the green or the yellow light on the port will light.  Of course, buying a crossover cabke will cause no harm since these are "like" connections but getting them from places like Staples is not cheap.

Offline sebjsan

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, »
Ok, so i got the magjack (yellow Led) to turn on now. I hade the output set up wrong on LSP. Now the issue is no output from etherdongle/SSHub with pixelnet to LE. No lights!

My set up
Windows XP PC direct to etherdongle with Cat5e
LSP sequencer pro 2.5 ( latest version)
Etherdongle to ss active hub pixelnet in
On ss hub DMX output to LE
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, by sebjsan »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, »
What Pixelnet Universe is the hub set to and what DMX universe is the DMX output set to as well.  You also need to check your configuration in LSP to make sure that it is sending the channels that you desire to the EDT and in the Universe that you are expecting.  Also remember that the channel number that you are sending output to in the sequence software may not be the same physical channel number on the devices.

Offline sebjsan

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, »
I have pixelnet universe on 1. DMX Uniiverse on 1 and the other one on 1. I have the configuration in LSP setup the same way.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, »
No green light?  Did you try disabling wifi and make sure lan is ok not disabled? 

When my show pc (older with XP) is hooked up with a crossover cable to etd I get a green light AND then a yellow light flashes when data being sent.

Hang in there man you're close!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, by zwiller »
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."