Author Topic: Ether Dongle Over Heats  (Read 3867 times)

Offline kevinpickett

• Colorado Christmas
Re: Ether Dongle Over Heats
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, »
Here are some better picts of ED1 that is having the 3.3v overheating problem.  Is there any part of the board that I should post better details of?

Besides the obvious troubleshooting the other steps that I have taken were ones that were suggested in other post concerning EDs with the same or similar problem.  And have David Pitts (dpitts) who has built several of the DLA boards take a look at them.  So I have had two sets of eyes looking the board over.  We both are stumped as to the issue or how to correct it.

Thanks
Kevin
---------------------------
Kevin
Colorado Christmas
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, »
I just built two ED units and both work, however I did notice the 5V voltage regulator does get warm.  It has a heat sink on it so I'm assuming it's OK but I was a little alarmed that it would be that warm.

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, »
I do not see any bridges on the Pic chip. I cannot see the ethernet chip clearly enough to tell anything on it.

A couple of things I did notice. The ISCP header is installed backward. The pins should point toward the edge of the board so that you can connect the programmer with the conductor board installed. With it pointing toward the center, you will not be able to connect the programmer with a daughter board installed. Also, It looks like you may have the flat side of the LED pointing toward the + instead of the other way. It's hard to tell from the picture.

I have fixed a couple of boards for other members. If you cannot get the boards working and want to ship them to me, I would be glad to look at them.

Rick

Offline kevinpickett

• Colorado Christmas
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, »
Thanks Rick.

Double checked the led light, not the issue.  I put the ISCP in that way since I do not plan on having daughter boards, and its eaiser to connect the PICKit 3 inside the enclosure this way.

ED #1 - Overheats, 3.3v short:  Here is a photo of the other chip.  There does seem to be a bridge, i have circled it.  Is that a factory bridge or an error?

ED#2 - no connection:  This one is a 32mx pick issue I'm pretty sure.  Look at the attached photo of it (2nd photo)

Kevin
---------------------------
Kevin
Colorado Christmas

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, »
These look like one of the units from the first coop.  I looked at the units from the current coop under a magnifying glass and they look spot on beautiful.  This unit does not look so good or the picture is not too good.

Offline dcwehw99

• Beta Tester
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, »
Thanks Rick.

Double checked the led light, not the issue.  I put the ISCP in that way since I do not plan on having daughter boards, and its eaiser to connect the PICKit 3 inside the enclosure this way.

ED #1 - Overheats, 3.3v short:  Here is a photo of the other chip.  There does seem to be a bridge, i have circled it.  Is that a factory bridge or an error?

ED#2 - no connection:  This one is a 32mx pick issue I'm pretty sure.  Look at the attached photo of it (2nd photo)

Kevin

ED #1 - That bridge (circled) is suppose to be there and is not a problem.

Denny

Offline caretaker

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, »
Kevin, 90% of the time it ends up being something simple that causes the problems. One thing I learned after RJ took over mounting the SMD to the boards was the likely hood of a bad solder job was pretty small (it can happen but not like the first EtDs that were released). Double check parts placement and look back through some of the posts where people were having problems with there Ether Dongles. This was my post were the voltages on the xtals are posted: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login There is also another post where some more voltage where listed but I can't seem to find it right now.
Jeff Squires

Offline rm357

Ether Dongle Over Heats
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, »
On this Picture, there should not be any bridges along the bottom. It may just be the angle, but it looks like there are several.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA