Author Topic: LSP v2.5 Scheduler is working  (Read 2084 times)

Offline urthegman

LSP v2.5 Scheduler is working
« on: October 12, 2012, »
Just so some of you can breathe a little easier, I wanted you all to know that the scheduler in LSP v2.5 is working for me. I've had it running going on three hours now without a glitch or any lagging. My setup is as follows: Core i7 , 8GB ram computer running Windows 7. I am using the etherdongle with three active hubs. I am using the first 128 channels of DMX from the first hub for 8 Lynx Express controllers. The next 2700 channels I am running a 90 node  x  10 Flexible strip matrix on. On my second hub I am using one dmx channel to send values to Madrix which in turn sends Madrix effects to 30 RGB snowtubes. On my third hub I am running 720 channels for two Flexible strip arches and 2,880 channels for 8 flexible strips that I will run vertically on each side of my front door. I think what is making it work is that it is streamlined to one output to configure and that I am using ALL Lynx equipment. A heartfelt hank you goes out to everyone for all the help you have given myself and others. It is everyone here who is so willing to lend a helping hand that makes this such a GREAT community to be part of. George

Offline travailen

Re: LSP v2.5 Scheduler is working
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, »
That is great! Thanks for the information.

Just so I understand what you did.

1) You built the sequence using LSP V2.5 sequencer. (Which as no useful output for our needs)

2) You ran that sequence using the scheduler and 1 Etherdonge to all your blinkies and it is working OK.

So, to summarize, for my understanding, use the sequencer to sequence and use the scheduler (has outputs that work) to test the sequence and run the program.

Thanks,

Rick S

Offline zwiller

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, »
Thanks for some good news George!
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline urthegman

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That is great! Thanks for the information.

Just so I understand what you did.

1) You built the sequence using LSP V2.5 sequencer. (Which as no useful output for our needs)

2) You ran that sequence using the scheduler and 1 Etherdonge to all your blinkies and it is working OK.

So, to summarize, for my understanding, use the sequencer to sequence and use the scheduler (has outputs that work) to test the sequence and run the program.

Thanks,

Rick S
1) Yes, but I had output in the sequencer as well
2) Yes
You should be able to get output from the sequencer as I have never had a problem getting it from there and I have used that to see how things would look before I put the sequence in the scheduler. If you want you can pm me whatever problem you are having and I will try to help.

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, »
I've been using LSP v2.5 scheduler for halloween, and the only issue I have had is it sometimes seems to cut the last second off of my sequences, could be only a frame or 2, can't really tell. This is with the USB dongles though, so when I get my Etherdongle working maybe it will be fine. I have also noticed it glitching here and there occasionally within a sequence and I know I have read about things like this happening to other people, where the USB seems not to be able to keep up sometimes where the Etherdongle does. It isn't a huge problem and the only reason I notice is because I see effects I know should be there not firing.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, »
For the last couple of weeks I've been fighting with some lights lagging the audio in the LPS 2.5 Scheduler, in some of my more challenging sequences.

One sequence was so bad I just didn't include it in my Halloween show.
Fast forward today.

Just sat down today and loaded the most difficult sequences into the scheduler. It included two that were borderline on Light lag, and one that was just horrible.

I then tweeked the effects timing up from 30ms to 50ms, all light lag has gone, gone gone!!!!!!

Now I only tested this for about 15 mins, so I'll set up the show tonight with the same songs and settings, but it's looking very promising.

Offline urthegman

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, »
Pete, I just want to say thank you for being the trail blazer. I learned a LOT from your journey and you being kind enough to share it with us all. I'm hoping that this final tweak puts you over the top and that you have smooth sailing from here on out. Thanks again, and if you are ever in New York, at least one nice cold one is definitely on me. George

Offline animal

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, »
+1

animal

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, »
Thanks for the nice comments.

I just want to give back to the wonderful community here at DLA. I've got so much help here, I feel that I need to give back too.

Soooooooooooo back to the lights.

As I said earlier in the thread, I changed the effects to 50 ms and all light lag was gone. I was very very happy, it ran through each song without issues.

So I cleared all the sequences out of the scheduler, rebooted, started the scheduler as admin, tossed alittle salt over my left shoulder, crossed my fingers, knocked on some 150 year old oak wood exactly 5 times and leaned to the left at exactly 22 degrees and set the effects generation to 50ms.

The sequences then started at 7pm, and..............................................................
The ones that we brderline, showed light lag.......................damn, damn, damn

Now the light lag isn't as bad as it was, previously it was maybe 1-3 seconds in some sections of the sequence. After changing the effects generation it's maybe 1 second, better, but still obvious to me (probably not that noticible to viewers of my sequence).

But why does it play prefectly in the scheduler (like it did on the first test) sometime, and other times not?

I'm going to try again tonight with maybe 60 or 80 mS timing effects to see it it flushes out the last of the light lag.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, by peteandvanessa »

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, »
@Peteandvanessa. 

When you setup the E1.31, did you load the defaults for Lynx ED?  If so, uncheck all of the universes/channels you are not using.  Having all universes selected simply requires LSP to output more empty channels.

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
@Peteandvanessa. 

When you setup the E1.31, did you load the defaults for Lynx ED?  If so, uncheck all of the universes/channels you are not using.  Having all universes selected simply requires LSP to output more empty channels.

Yep I fine tuned this, I thought like you that removing/unchecking universes might help with reducing the bandwidth.

Damn, it took over two weeks to figure this out:

The elusive Goldilock zone.......................

30ms is too cold
100 - 150ms is too hot
70 ms is just............................right

Tried different effects generation timings tonight. 30ms was causing 2-3 second delays

100-150ms seconds was causing missed timings ( the lights were closer to when you wanted them to come on, but the timing causes some lights to fire slightly late or not come on at all)

For my set up, it turns out that 70ms hit the Goldilock zone, not too hot not to cold, but just right.

I feel like I'm the effects generation timing guru. It's like I'm tuning dual carbs on a vw car

All songs ( now running six sequences) channels firing on all cylinders at the right moment, pretty pleased that I finally nailed this.

Now, we plan to load some code to analyse the real culprit on whose making the porridge hot, warm and cold. Will report out in due course.