Author Topic: ETD: No Pixelnet but have DMX output from SS Hub [SOLVED]  (Read 2320 times)

Offline wftxlites

I have just flashed my ETD to test Pixelnet. I have DMX output from the SS Hub but, do not have pixelnet output to my SmartStrings.

I connected my USB Pixelnet Dongle just to make sure my strings were working and they work fine.

Do I need to update my SS firmware to use the ETD flashed with EtherDongle2.hex (pixelnet) firmware?

Thanks,

Greg
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, by wftxlites »

Offline tbone321

Re: ETD: No Pixelnet but have DMX output from SS Hub
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, »
The firmware is for mods to the SSC and has nothing to do with the ETD.  Where are you getting this DMX output?  If you are getting it from one of the 16 pixelnet ports on the hub, then your EDT is still outputting DMX and you either flashed it with the wrong firmware or the flash failed.  If you are getting it from the DMX output, then the EDT is functioning properly and you may need to look at the configuration of whatever software you are using because that is most likely the cause of your isues.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline wftxlites

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, »
Ok, I think you're right it's the software. I was hoping the E1.31 plugin in LSP2.0 would work, but apparently not. It is for DMX only. I do not want to upgrade at this point. Looks like I will have to use the USB dongle for my pixelnet.

Thanks,

Greg

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, »
Sounds like it maybe a configuration issue.   I would suggest testing with xLights.

Check out the following post for how to setup LSP.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rm357

ETD: No Pixelnet but have DMX output from SS Hub
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, »
E1.31 does not care about pixelnet or DMX. Technically it is DMX over Ethernet, but we use it as is...

The etherdongle with DMX firmware will output the first four e1.31 universes as 4 DMX universes, one on each wire pair. The etherdongle with pixelnet firmware will output 32 universes of e1.31 as 4 universes of pixelnet, one on each wire pair. For each pixelnet universe, the etherdongle assembles eight e1.31 universes and transmits it as a single pixelnet universe.

The active hub takes pixelnet data on the input, regenerates it, adds power, and outputs this on the 16 connectors in the 4x4 grid. There is also a pic on the active hub that will take one block of 512 channels and output it as DMX on the DMX connector.

Jumpers select which pixelnet universe is active and which 512 channel block is selected.
For the pixelnet universe jumpers, both jumpers have to be set the same - 1&1, 2&2, 3&3, or 4&4.

If you are getting DMX at the DMX connector, then the pixelnet part is fine, you need to look to the ssc and or the nodes for your issue.

Most common mistakes:
The chip side of the ss nodes is the input
Wiring colors
If the Ethernet cable coming into the ssc is wrong, it probably blew the fuse for the connector you are plugged into.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, »
^^^   +1 
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline wftxlites

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, »
So, from all the info above and my memory is a little foggy on the LSP E1.31 setup. I say this because I seem to remember something about this for some reason. So, it appears that I am having a E1.31 Setup problem in LSP and need to add the next 512 channels.  That is #1 is 1-512 and then add #2 513-1024 or actually it just start address with a size of 512. That is because my SSC's are in the range of 513-1024. As I add channel count then I would need to add to the setup in 512 increments.

I want to make sure I understand that the pixelnet data is really an extension of DMX512 protocol for addtional channels beyond the 512 limit per universe. The SSC takes the (Pixelnet or Extended DMX) channels and generates the bit stream protocol that the SS LED Nodes understand. Trying not to get technical here, but it does help to understand when troubleshooting.

I'll try this and let ya'll know how it goes.

You guys are great and thanks again for the help.

Greg

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, »
The DMX protocol has a header, so the end devices know when the data starts and a end marker when the data is done.
Pixelnet removes the header and end marker and just uses a single number 170 to mark the beginning with nothing but data behind that number. I think RJ explained it and the doc is in the wiki (Pixelnet Specs)

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline wftxlites

[SOLVED]

Added additional channels to LSP2 E1.131 Setup

Thanks Everyone,

Greg

Offline rm357

ETD: No Pixelnet but have DMX output from SS Hub [SOLVED]
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, »
Congrats!!!
Robert