Author Topic: aether power supply  (Read 7886 times)

Offline salongaopm

aether power supply
« on: October 15, 2012, »
can this be use to power the aether:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thanks!

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: aether power supply
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, »
While the input is AC, the output seems to be DC (discovered by zooming into the picture).

The aether2 requires AC.

So this won't work for you needs.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, »
is there a similar adapter that can be use to aether...just enough to power one aether? i am thinking of just connecting one to each aether instead of having one big power supply and connecting 3 or more aether.

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, »
how this one:

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, »
this one is 60w ac 12v per description:

this one is 105w ac 12v

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, by salongaopm »

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, »
how this one:

that doesn't look bad.  i've heard of people having problems with the quality/reliability of the power coming out of smaller transformers -- and they ended up going back to the malibu.  I only used the malibu and had no problems.

let us know how it turns out... having a nice internal power supply using 110v connections sounds nice -- but the part that I worry about is the heat from the power supply combined with the heat of the LED contained in a single tight-fitting enclosure.  it might be asking for problems.

a water-proof power supply that attached to the outside might be a better choice.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, »
this one is 60w ac 12v per description:

this one is 105w ac 12v

i've heard the power needs for the aether2 described at 35W and also described at 45W.  Using the general principle of saving 20% as reserve, I'd try the 60W unit instead of the 40W or even the 105W.

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, »
how this one:

that doesn't look bad.  i've heard of people having problems with the quality/reliability of the power coming out of smaller transformers -- and they ended up going back to the malibu.  I only used the malibu and had no problems.

let us know how it turns out... having a nice internal power supply using 110v connections sounds nice -- but the part that I worry about is the heat from the power supply combined with the heat of the LED contained in a single tight-fitting enclosure.  it might be asking for problems.

water-proof power s3upply that attached to the outside might be a better choice.

I am thinking of placing it outside the aether case...probably enclosed inside a small lunch box.

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, »
found another one:

in the description, it states that LED lights cannot be used. Also, only for halogen light bulb. Is that going to  be a problem?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, »
Nope.  Remember that these warnings refer to raw bulbs.  A straight LED bulb intended to run on regulated 12VDC power would be damaged or derstroyed by the 15 or more volts of AC provided by these transformers.  The Aether was designed to run on this type of power and has the circutry required to  convert and regulates the power requir by the internal LEDs.  The only thing that you have to worry about is that the power pack has enough output for the number of Aethers you will be conncting to it.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, »
thanks!

Offline caretaker

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, »
One thing to remember with these electronic supplies is that they work on a higher frequency for the output.... Not being a electronic wiz I am not sure if that would have an effect on the Aether or not.
Jeff Squires

Offline tbone321

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, »
The Aether uses a standard rectifier and cap to convert from AC to DC.  I doubt that the sligh change in frequency will have any effect at all.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, »
how this one:

water-proof power s3upply that attached to the outside might be a better choice.

I am thinking of placing it outside the aether case...probably enclosed inside a small lunch box.

Also be careful as some of those say 220V input.  I suspect that if you run those in the US, you are only going to get 6V out, not 12V.  Of course I could be WAYYYY off too, just wanted to bring that up.

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline rm357

aether power supply
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, »
The last transformer was 110 vac, which is what you want. Almost all of the earlier transformers were 220 vac. Keith is right - if you hook the 220 v transformer to 110/120, you are going to get about 6 v out. If you happen to have 240v outlets wired in your house, you will be fine, but most outlets are only 120.

Why do I keep bouncing between 110, 120, 220, and 240?

Technically in the U.S. we run 240 volt single phase to most homes, but by using a center tapped transformer and hooking the center to neutral/ground at the pole, we basically have 120v outlets (hot to neutral). Depending on where you live, it's not uncommon to see the voltage sag to 115. 110 is a little on the low side for the U.S., but not uncommon in other countries. In any case, 110 and 120 are close enough that most stuff won't notice...

220 and 240 is basically the same idea. 208 however is usually associated with 3 phase power - usually installed in commercial buildings.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA