Author Topic: adding rgb channels to vixen 2.1  (Read 5479 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
adding rgb channels to vixen 2.1
« on: October 16, 2012, »
 do i just go into my profile and add the neccessary channels to accomodate my pixel net channels? is each pixel net channel set up as 1. red 2. blue 3. green 4. red 5. blue 6. green etc? or should i say 512. red 513 blue 514 green etc.?  i already have 4 songs sequenced without rgb and with time creeping up on us fast, i need to start focusing on getting my pixel nodes into this years show. your help is greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance,

duane

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, by duane.mosley »
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
Re: adding rgb channels to vixen 2.1
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, »
If you're using the ether dongle you will want to make sure that you add enough channels to total 4096 channels.  If you're using the USB dongle flashed for Pixelnet I don't think the channel count matters.

Assuming the SSC is flashed for what you're using (string, flex strip, square, etc) then the channel order will be 1 red, 2 green, 3 blue for each node.  I'm using hybrid mode because it gives you more flexibility in sequencing.

I'm in the same boat as far as converting last year's sequences to RGB.

Have fun and good luck!
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If you're using the ether dongle you will want to make sure that you add enough channels to total 4096 channels.  If you're using the USB dongle flashed for Pixelnet I don't think the channel count matters.

Assuming the SSC is flashed for what you're using (string, flex strip, square, etc) then the channel order will be 1 red, 2 green, 3 blue for each node.  I'm using hybrid mode because it gives you more flexibility in sequencing.

I'm in the same boat as far as converting last year's sequences to RGB.

Have fun and good luck!

at this time, i am using a usb dongle to run and test what i have been working on, i am waiting for my ether dongle from the last coop. once i am up and running live, i will be using ether dongle, active hub, 17 le's. approximately 1200 smart string nodes. ssc's are already flashed for smart strings.

do i have to put each pixel node channel into my vixen sequence? example, i use 10 nodes, 3 channels each, do i use 30 channels in vixen? 10 red, 10 blue, 10 green? or do i use one of the effects builders like nutcracker? as i post this i will be digging into the forum archives and doing as much reading as i can. this is my first year doing diy animation of any kind. i had mr christmas last year so let's just say i jumped in both feet! i wasn't sure if i was going to be able to do the smart strings so i haven't been sequencing for smart strings. thanks to the wife for buying my strings for my birthday!!! gotta love her! i know have the issue of learning how to use them and insert them into my sequence. once again, thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

duane
Florence, KY

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, »
for 10 nodes you need 30 channels in Vixen.

for 1200 nodes you need 3600 channels

assuming that your SSCs are set for pixel mode and not hybrid or string

Rick R.

ps. If you don't want to create 3600 channels in vixen it might be wise to check out VSB in the wiki software section.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, by rrowan »
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, »
for 10 nodes you need 30 channels in Vixen.

for 1200 nodes you need 3600 channels

assuming that your SSCs are set for pixel mode and not hybrid or string

Rick R.

ps. If you don't want to create 3600 channels in vixen it might be wise to check out VSB in the wiki software section.

thanks rick, i was just reading the post on vsb. your latest post was about working out a nasty bug. i guess the updated version in wiki has the kinks worked out? i will get into the wiki and start reading and figuring it out.

duane
Florence, KY

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, »
so i open vsb. how do i enter my ssc and node values when i will be using 14 ssc's and 14 strings, but each string will have different node counts? i am using rgb around my windows and doors and outlining my house and my string count is going to vary.

thanks

duane
Florence, KY

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, »
Just do each SSC one at a time if they are all different number of nodes.

Set Node count, mode (pixel, hybrid, string), Object name, set sec qty = 1, start channel (i.e.: 513)

Click Create

Now update any fields you want from above (like object name) and then click create again
repeat for all of the SSCs

The program will update the start channel

hope that makes sense

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, »
so what your saying is go ahead and create each individual ssc? for example. ssc 1 window right 1, start channel 513 with 75 nodes, save. start over with ssc 2 window right 2, start channel 737(512+225 pixel channels), 75 nodes, ssc 3 window left 1, start channel 962....etc? i am assuming this is what your saying? and i should save each ssc set up?

thanks
duane
Florence, KY

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, »
ok so i was able to figure out how to get all the ssc's named and node amount assigned. when i go into vixen to try and find it, it's not there
Florence, KY

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, »
did you save the file into the vixen sequence folder?

Rick R.

Offline injury

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, »
I don't want to speak out of turn but if you aren't already tied to Vixen 2.1 and have a couple of hours to play and  compare you might want to give HLS with a dash of Nutcracker a spin since it doesn't look like Vixen 3.0 will be ready for primetime this year. I tried messing with RGB in 2.1 and it was a headache just getting the channels in there. Nothing is perfect but I'm finding HLS about 1/3 the pain in the butt to sequence my 613 pixels as being more recent RGB was accounted for in its development.

If not at least make sure and grab the several different RGB helper plugins for Vixen

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, »
ok, so i have got the vsb sequence saved in the vixen folder. i have figured out how to import the channel names but it doesn't bring in the channel colors. when i import the channels list with the original colors for my 350 channels of dmx, it knocks out the rgb channel info. how do you get my channel line up from my profile, mixed in with the rgb info?
Florence, KY

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, »
I don't want to speak out of turn but if you aren't already tied to Vixen 2.1 and have a couple of hours to play and  compare you might want to give HLS with a dash of Nutcracker a spin since it doesn't look like Vixen 3.0 will be ready for primetime this year. I tried messing with RGB in 2.1 and it was a headache just getting the channels in there. Nothing is perfect but I'm finding HLS about 1/3 the pain in the butt to sequence my 613 pixels as being more recent RGB was accounted for in its development.

If not at least make sure and grab the several different RGB helper plugins for Vixen

i would say i have myself tied to vixen at the moment. i have about 200 hours of sequencing already done with vixen. i am used to how it works and with show time only 5 weeks away, i don't know if it would be a good time to switch. unless of course, all of my vixen sequences will switch over with no problems.this is my first year and i have gotten used to vixen but not to say that i wouldn't switch if it's an easy transition.
Florence, KY

Offline injury

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, »
There is an import from Vixen, but with your investment probably best to stay with what you know at this stage. I was just starting earlier this year and Vixen 2.1 was what I was going to be using starting from scratch, now I just use it for it's MIDI input mapping and then export that out.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, »
ok, so i have got the vsb sequence saved in the vixen folder. i have figured out how to import the channel names but it doesn't bring in the channel colors. when i import the channels list with the original colors for my 350 channels of dmx, it knocks out the rgb channel info. how do you get my channel line up from my profile, mixed in with the rgb info?

I would import your sequence into VSB (with the dmx channels) first and then add the rgb channels. Save the new file to your sequence folder and then load that new sequence file into vixen and then create a new profile from the sequence.

Rick R.