Author Topic: adding rgb channels to vixen 2.1  (Read 5444 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
Re: adding rgb channels to vixen 2.1
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, »
ok, i was able to bring in my channel lineup from my vixen sequence into the vsb. when i go to open it in vixen, the channel line up is there but not colors.  i was able to copy the channel colors and event data, but when i do, it loses the colors for the rgb channels. the info is there and the channel names are there, but there are no colors.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, »
i see, because the sequence i am coping from doesn't have colors below 192, that is what i am coping. i am really mad at my self for not saving stuff in stages with dates. another lesson learned. sure would be a good time to be able to remove multiple channels from vixen profiles. you can add thousands at a time, but you can only remove one at a time!. ouch. now i need t o weigh up whats going to be faster. erasing 3500 channels, or going into the new profile and rename and recolor the first 192. probably the latter of the two.

any way to make the adjustable preview bigger? right now i am using default settings in vixen with a resolution of 10 pixels. 58x43. it's kind of hard trying to enter all of my displays. how do i draw in pixel channels? 1 block in vixen is 1 channel in pixel node?
Florence, KY

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, »
You can make the adjustable preview as big as you want it.  The problem I have had is that once you build it in a certain size there is no way to automatically make it bigger or smaller and appropriately adjust the channel images to the new size.  So create a new profile with some channels and then play with the adjustable preview window size until you get to the size you want to see.  Note that size and make you real preview that size.  If you are using a picture of your house be sure the picture of the house is big enough to show what you want, because the picture will not resize.

Once you figure out the size of window you want then adjust the pixel size up or down to get the fine control that you want.  What I did for RGB last year was to use a small pixel size and define each color pixel adjacent to the other.  You can also define the channels on top of each other, i.e, same pixel, and the colors kind of blend together.  When I was using 3 colored strings around my windows I wanted to be able to tell when I had both two colors on because I like turning two colors on together.  For instance. my non-rgb windows look good with blue and green lights on or red and white and I wanted to be able to see that difference in the preview and a blended color was not what I wanted.

Attached is my 2011 preview.  I do not try to draw everything exact I only need a representation of things to let me see how things are going to be.  The vertical bars are actually minitrees, the bottom right is my representation of my megatree and the 3d star in the middle of it.  I the middle of the tree is rotating then the star is rotating, If only the red pixels are on then the tree is red. etc.  Crude, but works for me.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline injury

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, »
Ya 1 block is 1 channel. There are some plugins to help with more preview tools and such at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

As for your other issue I found several times it was faster to go in and manually edit things in the vixen files if the program didn't let me do what I wanted on the profile side of things. Most of it is just XML files so any text editor will let you view them. Always save a backup before messing with them though.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, »
ok, so i have figured out how to make my picture larger in preview. i also figured out how to adjust my pixel size. how do you draw 128 nodes into a picture that won't hold them all? i plan on outlining my roof and the picture won't hold all 128 nodes in preview. if i drop the pixel size i can hardly see them in preview to be able to count them all.
Florence, KY

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, »
Last year I gave on trying to do every RGB pixel.  Too much work for very little benefit.  I do have the strings on my preview, but they only show up when I am using hybrid mode and turning them all one color.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tallan

• Christmas with the Allans
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
ok, so i have figured out how to make my picture larger in preview. i also figured out how to adjust my pixel size. how do you draw 128 nodes into a picture that won't hold them all? i plan on outlining my roof and the picture won't hold all 128 nodes in preview. if i drop the pixel size i can hardly see them in preview to be able to count them all.

Hello,

I have found that you can place 3 pixels on the same dot for the RGB channels and they also will show the color mix as well (ie red and blue = purple) but it's still hard to fit in the whole strand. I usually do 1/2 or 1/4 just to get a feel for the effect.

Ted