Author Topic: Cat 5e splitter. Will this work?  (Read 1569 times)

Offline sittinguphigh

Cat 5e splitter. Will this work?
« on: October 17, 2012, »
If I use this 5e spitter. Can I induct power into the SSC cable?
This will be used to bring power into the SSC.
Will there be any feed back problem?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, by sittinguphigh »
What you don't know. Can hurt you.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Cat 5e splitter. Will this work?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, »
I'm not an expert, but I expect that if you tried that you would also get 12v feedback into a cable you don't want it on.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, »
this is better for you, and only uses about $7.39 worth of parts (plus 3 for the board)

take the cost and divide it by the 4 outputs and it's about the same price per string as what you were looking at, plus it works once assembled, is supported here in case something goes wrong, and doesn't need to be modified to work correctly for your use.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, by chrisatpsu »
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rm357

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, »
For what you want to do, you need to either make a custom cable or use the passive hub.

Custom cable:

You need several pieces of Ethernet cable, one short (~6 inches) and the other pieces long enough to make it to where you plan to have the SSCs on your horse. Strip back about 6 inches of the outer insulation on each piece of wire. Untwist enough of the orange-white/orange pair to strip a half inch and connect all of the orange wires together as one group and all of the white/orange wires together as a separate group. Do not untwist more than a couple of inches if at all possible. Cover the connections with electrical tape or heat shrink tubing.

The short one plugs into the dongle, you can trim off the other 6 wires as they are not needed. For the other cables, untwist the other 6 wires and group for ground and +12 v. The colors change depending on if you have an "a" or a "b" style cable, so it would be best to use an ohmmeter to determine which are the ground wires and which are the +12v by attaching a ssc to the cable.

Strip about an inch from the six wires, group, and hook each set of three to one of the little power converter/regulators that you were planning to use to power each ssc separately.

You can probably get away with 4 SSCs like this. However, there is a catch... Any unused cable ends need to be terminated with a 120 ohm resistor between the orange and white/orange wires. No termination is very bad...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, by rm357 »
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, »
Can I cut off the power connectors on the 5 RJ45 jacks that go on the broard?

Offline rm357

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, »
I don't understand what you are asking.

I am assuming that you still want to power each string individually.

If you want to keep the hub as the splitter and cut the other three pairs in each cable to insert power, you can do that. No need to modify the passive hub as you will be cutting the power wires in each cable. There will also be no need to supply power to the hub, unless you want to use that to power one of the strings and only modify the other 3 cables.

My description in the prior post does not use the hub. Just 5 pieces of Ethernet cable (or less) with a connector on only one end of each cable.

I would avoid the cat5 splitter like the plague. You don't know how it is wired, you don't know the type of wire used, and if you run power through it, you are asking for trouble...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, by rm357 »
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, »
I really not sure what your describing with the wiring. I haven't built any thing yet. Still waiting for parts.
I think your describing a way to splice wires together for the power and the data.
I know if I go that way I need to split the date cable into four cables.
I know I need to connect a power wire to each line seperate.