Author Topic: Pixelnet EtherDongle and LOR controller on same cat5  (Read 3752 times)

Offline Danbe

I little bid confuse. I use LOR software and hardware controllers  l6 canal  and this year I go to use led pixel nodes I have Pixelnet EtherDongle and PixelNet 16 Port Active Hub etc...

Ok, to use bold unite did i need to install 2 cat 5  one connect to usb 485 for Lor controllers unite  and one cat5 for Pixelnet EtherDongle and PixelNet 16 Port Active Hub etc...I use Lor software 3.7.0Advanced  Or can I connect both on same cat5  if yes how?   Thank

Sorry for my English writing   I not to good   Dan 8)

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
Re: Pixelnet EtherDongle and LOR controller on same cat5
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, »
What software are you using?  You can run LOR using DMX protocol and then use the same cat5 cable.  So, your setup would look something like this.

Computer -> Etherdongle -> Pixelnet Hub -> DMX -> LOR

The following document details how you can setup LSP with the Etherdongle and provides an example wiring diagram on how to mix LOR running DMX and PixelNet.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Danbe

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, »
I using LOR SOFTWARE 3.7.0 Advanced  Thank

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, »
I'm using LOR software as well but no pixels till next year.  If you want the LOR controllers to talk the LOR protocol it will take two wires.  If you run the LOR controllers in DMX mode then you may have a little more flexibility as noted above.  This is over my head.

I plan on using the Etherdongle this year for DMX to feed LOR controllers listening for DMX and Lynx Expresses.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, »
Dan, I re-wrote your question some. Let me know how I did.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm little bit confused. I use LOR software and LOR hardware controllers (16 channel). This year I will use LED pixel nodes. I have Pixelnet EtherDongle and PixelNet 16 Port Active Hub etc...

To use both units do I need to install 2 Cat5 cables? One to connect the USB 485 for LOR controllers units and one CAT5 for Pixelnet EtherDongle and PixelNet 16 Port Active Hub?   Or can I connect both on same cat5  if yes how?

I use LOR software 3.7.0 Advanced.

Thank

Sorry for my English writing   I not to good   Dan 8)

I have a very similar setup. Some LOR controllers using DMX and some Smart String Pixel controllers.

I also have an Etherdongle and the Smart Hub. If you use the Pixelnet flashed Etherdongle as your E1.31 device in LOR's Network Preferences, then you will need the following CAT5 cables:

You will need one CAT5 cable from your network or PC to the Etherdongle.
You will need one CAT5 cable from the Etherdongle to the Smart String Hub.
You will need one CAT5 cable from the DMX Output on the Smart String Hub that goes to your LOR controllers.
You will need multiple CAT5 cable(s) to each of your Smart String controllers.

All of those CAT5 cables are "straight through" or "patch" style cables.

The only exception would be if you are connecting directly to from your computer to the Pixelnet Etherdongle with a single cable. Then, you may need a "crossover" type cable.

Offline Danbe

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, »
Yes i connect cable from my network or PC to the Etherdongle.all my pixelnet light working good that is OK But went I connect my LOR controller to my Hub (to DMX OUT) I can't find my LOR controller  But if I connect to my usb485that is connect to my computer I detect LOR controller
I was try to find way so I don't need to install another cat5 inside house to outside  I try find way to use single cat 5 for bold hardware with LOR Software  If yes what are the settingI need to do ??

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, »
DMX is a steaming out only protocol.  My favorite feature of the LOR system "Network" scanning will not work in DMX mode.  You also need a cross cable for the LOR controller to hear the DMX signal because the Lynx and LOR gear use different pins for the DMX signal.  The WIKI has info on how to build this cable.  I just built four the other night.

Check out this link.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, »
When you use DMX only with LOR Controllers, you cannot "Detect" an LOR controller like you do with the USB-RS485 dongle.

If you have the "cross cable" mentioned above by Jeff to put the DMX output onto pins 4 and 5, then your LOR 16 channel controller should control lights without problem.

I have found the LOR Hardware Utility to have little use now that I'm 100% DMX. I now use xLights if I need to test something.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, by JonB256 »

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, »
I used the connection under the heading below.  It was a bit confusing at first but once I figured it out it went well.  This way you don't have to worry about which end you plug into what.  I have made these by soldering the wires together last year and this year I bought a cheap RJ45 crimper, ends and RJ45 couplers for this year.

Lynx and LOR Crossover Connections

Attached is the image I created to help me as my cat5 cables used a the different color standard than what is at the link above.

Offline Danbe

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, »
Big thank too all you Yes everything working on single cat 5  I change Lynx and LOR Crossover Connections  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Thank Again God bless you all   Daniel