Author Topic: trouble with the SSC's  (Read 975 times)

Offline J4A4E

trouble with the SSC's
« on: October 20, 2012, »
Hello All,

I am having trouble getting my lights to blink with the test firmware and version 1 SCC’s. I have tried 2 separate SSC’s. I made the test rig that wbeuhler made. When I turn the power on to the SSC the lights flash once and that’s all I get. I have gone over the solder joints, reprogramed different pic’s, I have even cut a few nodes off to cut down on the chance of a bad node somewhere on the string.

Any help will be appreciated

John

Offline njKeever

Re: trouble with the SSC's
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, »
Can you post a high quality picture of both sides of your SSCs? Also, have you tried the regular firmware or just the test firmware?

Offline rm357

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, »
This seems obvious, but make sure you are using the version 1 test firmware with the version 1 SSC. There is no test software for the V2 SSC, and I think the V3 test firmware for modified V3 SSCs was been pulled from the site pending a break for RJ and the revealing of the V4 mod.

Blinking once is really odd behavior...

Just to be sure, the wires on the side of the node with the chip (bigger black square) is the input. If the data and ground are swapped, sometimes you get some odd behavior on the first node, but nothing after that. This is also true if you hook the SSC to the output end of the wire.

What size output resistor (the one closest to where the smart string connects to the SSC) do you have? If you don't know know how to read the color codes, just post the colors... or a good picture...

How long is the wire between the SSC and the first node?
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline J4A4E

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, »
I believe I flashed the right firmware it was under version one on the equipment page

I did make sure the big chip was the input on the string

I started off with the 330 ohm output resister and then tried the 150 ohm resistor in it's place with no sucess.

The wire length to the first node is about 18 inches long

I have tried this on 2 different SSC's

I am wondering if I am doing something wrong when I program the pic.

Offline rm357

trouble with the SSC's
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, »
I don't think you have to, but I always erase and do a blank check on the pic before programming. I also do a verify after.

Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline J4A4E

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, »
The third time was the charm. I am not sure of the problem with the first 2 SSC's I tried, but the third one I decided to try worked like a charm.

thank you for the help

John