Author Topic: Issue with one V1 SSC  (Read 983 times)

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
Issue with one V1 SSC
« on: October 20, 2012, »
I have one controller that I cannot figure out.  Using xlights tester, if I set it to cycle RGB, they work fine.  If I set it to cycle RGBW, then when it gets to white, the string goes all rainbow.  I used this string & SCC last year, but I had it marked as having an issue I need to fix.  It never did the rainbow thing in the show that I saw, but I have added another 330 ohm resistor to the bottom per discussions a year or so old thinking that might do it, but it did not seem to make a difference.  Well, I say that...using the test firmware, it would hang on white and start cyclingagain if I added another 330 ohm resistor to it so that is why I made it permanent.  I have flashed the PIC twice with the correct firmware.  It seems like the RGB vs. RGBW is a key to this, I just don't know what or how.

Thoughts?  Ideas?

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline tbone321

Re: Issue with one V1 SSC
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, »
Did you make any modifications to the controller.   White pulls the most current and may be dropping the signal voltage below what the chip needs to properly identify what is being requested. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, »
I just added the extra 330 ohm resistor to the bottom to give me 165 ohms...close to the 150 that was recommended for fixing the rainbow problem.  I also forgot to mention that I tried multiple ports off the hub as well with the same result.  I have the controller hard wired to the string so I don't have an easy way to switch out the controllers, but I guess I could try that if nothing else surfaces.

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, »
Keith,

You're seeing the same issue a number of us had.  The only real fix is to make the mod to the SSC.  There was a V3 mod from RJ, but that has been pulled pending a fix to the mod.  Hopefully we'll see the new mod and firmware soon.

-Mike

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, »
The issue is that the pin currently being used on the PIC is on te very edge of putting out enough voltage and excess current load makes it worse.  The Ver 3 mod when released is supposed to correct this.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, »
I knew the V3 mod is supposed to fix this.  I am just running out of time and was hoping to get this string working correctly so I can get it installed.  I may just install it and worry about the controller later.  I thought the fix for these was to lower the resistor value and when I did that and it did not fix it, I became worried.  Thanks for the input.  I do feel better now.  I guess it is true...misery does love company.    ;D

Thanks again,
-Keith

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, »
See this:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login