Author Topic: Updated mod for SSC  (Read 17678 times)

Offline zwiller

Re: Updated mod for SSC
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Does this look like a viable 330 replacement from radio shack?  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Successfully used them on about a dozen of mine on the first version of the V3 mod. 

Just changed over 2 and also get the checksum ED60 with a Pickit3.  I have the tiniest flicker with fades with the 4 led square modules and flex strips.  I didn't know for sure but I thought the existing test firmware for previous mod might run but it does not. 

I compared a newly modded SSC with a previously modded SSC I much prefer the previous mod, at least with what I have tested so far with flexstrips and 4 led square modules.  Much smoother and realistic fades.  Kinda surprised the difference is that noticeable.  At least at this point I don't plan on changing anymore.
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, »
I also get a checksum of 0xED60 now, but I have a problem with my pickit3/pickit3 environment. I only can get to that checksum if I import other hex files first. If I import that one first, I get the other (wrong) checksum I was seeing yesterday. That is definitely my setup acting up, trying to figure it out.
When I do get the correct checksum, the firmware works correctly, and the lights flash after the SSC is setup. Haven't run any visual test of fades and/or other effects side by side.
Thanks all for your help, and of course to RJ for coming up with all those things.
Francois

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, »
I have to assume that this is the one to replace.

Install the 47 ohm resistor (yellow-violet-black) as shown above and solder them in place and trim the leads.

What you don't know. Can hurt you.

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, »
Yes, that is the correct resistor that gets swapped out with a value between 220 and 330 ohms.

-Mike

Offline tbone321

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, »
I have to assume that this is the one to replace.

Install the 47 ohm resistor (yellow-violet-black) as shown above and solder them in place and trim the leads.

If you are making the board mod, this is the resistor but you will NOT be using a 47 ohm resistor.  This is where you would return back to the 330 ohm resistor.  You can go as low as 220 ohms but 330 is easier on the PIC.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline sean815

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, »
 Mouser part# 291-330-RC
is this part the one to use for this mod? 

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, »
That should work fine.
/mike

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2012, »
It is still not clear what the "top" resistor is.  Is the "top" resistor the 47 ohm,  120 ohm, or one of the 4.7k ohm?

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2012, »
the 47ohm

replace it with something between 220-330 ohms
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2012, »
One more thing, what size should the wire be?  I don't want to undersize it then have a really pretty orange flame display with my house.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2012, »
The jumper that you are placing is for the signal wire.  There is very little currenton this wire so there is not much to worry about there.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2012, »
I've used a 30 gauge wire, and it's running ok
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rm357

Updated mod for SSC
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2012, »
If using a 330 ohm resistor, the max current is 15ma, the 220 ohm resistor bumps that up to 23ma. Whatever wire you have handy will be plenty big. I've been using pieces from the cat5 twisted pairs that I cut off making my aethers.

This resistor is a "pull up" resistor on the output data pin. The pic grounds the pin to make a logic zero, when not being grounded, the resistor pulls up the voltage to make a logic one. When the pic grounds the pin, the resistor is effectively connected between +5 and ground, which is when you will pull the max current through the v3 mod wire.

The 47 ohm resistor raises the max current to 106ma, which can cause other issues if the cat 5 is long or you are running a lot of nodes off that controller. I strongly advise all ssc v2 owners to either mod them to a v3 or at least replace the resistor with something a little bigger...
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2012, »
I'm in the process of building 50 SSC, so I'm doing the mod.  I'm certain it will save headaches later down the road.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2012, »
I used a piece of CAT5 wire. Pretty small. All working without problem.
My Square Modules have lead wires over 12inches long and there is no problem. I left them that long just to check. 330 ohm resistor.

Here are 4 SSC V3s running a test pattern with the square metal modules (they have the four 5050 LEDs)

Some of my strings from Ray (20 pixels per string) had a single bad pixel. Those got cut out before assembling the whole string.