Author Topic: IP address for EtherDongle  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
IP address for EtherDongle
« on: October 23, 2012, »
I just built and setup my first EtherDongle with LOR S3 and it worked like a charm.  Now that I have one hooked up and working, it got me thinking; how does the IP addressing work when you have more than one ED attached.  I found another thread that showed the addressing worked like below.  The question that is getting me is how do you hookup more than one ED if you wanted more than 4 universes, 2 ED's because I thought I read the IP addresses are hard coded into the units and they would conflict.

Universe 1 - 239.255.0.1    Multicast - Port 5568       
Universe 2 - 239.255.0.2    Multicast - Port 5568           
Universe 3 - 239.255.0.3    Multicast - Port 5568           
Universe 4 - 239.255.0.4    Multicast - Port 5568   

You can laugh now if you read this far and I missed the boat. :)

Thanks Jeff

Offline JonB256

• My website
Re: IP address for EtherDongle
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, »
Different firmware per ED.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, by JonB256 »

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, »
I should have noted that I was thinking about multiple etherdongles running DMX.  It looks like there is multiple firmware options for pixelnet.  It's nothing I need, I'm just curious if and how it could be done.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, »
I just built and setup my first EtherDongle with LOR S3 and it worked like a charm.  Now that I have one hooked up and working, it got me thinking; how does the IP addressing work when you have more than one ED attached.  I found another thread that showed the addressing worked like below.  The question that is getting me is how do you hookup more than one ED if you wanted more than 4 universes, 2 ED's because I thought I read the IP addresses are hard coded into the units and they would conflict.

Universe 1 - 239.255.0.1    Multicast - Port 5568       
Universe 2 - 239.255.0.2    Multicast - Port 5568           
Universe 3 - 239.255.0.3    Multicast - Port 5568           
Universe 4 - 239.255.0.4    Multicast - Port 5568   

You can laugh now if you read this far and I missed the boat. :)

Thanks Jeff

Jeff, in your above table, that is accurate if you have the ED running DMX Firmware.

If you are running PixelNet firmware, it is a much longer list of Multicast addresses. (from 1 to 32)

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, »
Yes the list was just a subset that I copied.  It's my understanding that you can't set the IP address on the ED at this time when using DMX.  I think there is some test firmware for pixlenet with different IP addresses so you can there.

I only plan on using 2 universes so I'm OK.  I was more curious than anything how I could attach two ED's at the same time.

Offline rm357

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, »
You can attach as many as you want, but they will all be the same... multicast is transmitted to everybody on your network. Also, the protocol is a UDP type connection that is all one way with no return traffic.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, »
I have a question and since my ETD is not built yet, was wondering if anyone has tried the following.

This was brought up at the Tennessee Mini by Ed Bryson. He said that S3 can do Unicast. Did not get a chance to ask more on this, but did go into S3 and it looks like he might be right.

In the LOR DMX network configuration, there is an option "Specify" under Protocol with will be "Lynx" when you click on "E1.31" I have placed the 239.255.0.1..4 numbers and it accepts this just fine for each Universe.

I have not run E1.31 with this setting option and was interested if this will reduce the traffic on E1.31 over using "Multicast"? Would like to know if this just sends the required data to each IP and not to all unless needed.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rm357

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, »
EtD does not support unicast.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA