Author Topic: Lag using xlights over power line Ethernet  (Read 6052 times)

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
Re: Lag using xlights over power line Ethernet
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, »
I'm direct to router. Router over wired Ethernet to ether dongle. The laptop scenario occurred while doing some testing.

I'm going to be direct wired to ether dongle for Christmas.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, »
Last year I broke down and just drilled a hole through the brick morter and into the garage ... ran the cat5 and sealed on either side.  Its nice having a wired connection in many ways.  In fact I already had a wired connection for my LOR network, but this one was for pixlenet.  I likely will use both cables again this year, just run LOR/DMX on one and do ED/Pixelnet on the other.  Then run all non-LOR DMX off the SS HUB DMX out port.  This kind of isolates my LOR DMX a bit and eliminated the need for DMX wiring adaptors.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
Lag using xlights over power line Ethernet
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, »
I had a similar issue with xlights scheduler and delay when I tested it. Never did figure out what it was, but I was just playing around with it so I didn't pursue. Did you try directly connected to take the powerline Ethernet out of the equation?

Offline mms

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, »
I haven't tried the direct cable yet because its snowed the last 2 nights.  I may get ambitious today!

Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline sielbear

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, »
I think I'm seeing the same thing guys.  Working with Frank on some testing, but here's the oddness...

I can run a test output from LSP and the playback is SMOOTHER over really complex sequences.  Going out xLights is MUCH more jagged?  It looks like data is being dropped, etc.  Frame updates are perhaps twice a second when pushing pixelnet hard? 

Offline mms

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, »
OK, so the issue is NOT the power line ethernet adapters.  I have the ED plugged directly into my network (cable out the window.)  When I play a sequence using Vixen all the RGB channels are smooth and do what they're supposed to.  When I play the same sequence converted to the xLights format, it's laging or "jerky".  It looks like what I would expect if I converted from 50ms to 100ms timing - I'm not saying that is what's happening, just what it looks like.

More info:
Vixen sequences were made using 50ms timing, 4096 channels, DMX channels all in the first universe.

Thoughts?

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, »
That is two threads now with a similar set of issues. 

Have you tried to drop your network configuration down to just 8 and see what happens?  That is enough to cover your 4096 channels and will take some of the load of the timers in xLights.

Note that you will have to reconvert your vixen sequences if you change your xlights network configuration

Thanks!

Frank

Offline mms

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, »
I only have the 8 multicast networks.

Question:  Would having the adjustable preview in Vixen be a partial cause to the lag/jerkiness?

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, »
I doubt that would be an issue. Being that others are seeing the same behavior with lsp conversions as well it seems like this is an xlights issue. I hope to be able to compile xlights and experiment tomorrow.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, »
A side question.  What brand and model of powerline connectors are you using.  I have two trendnet POE adapters and while they work fine for computer to computer, I get no response from the EtD.  I'm guessing mine do not support multicast.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, by jnealand »
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline mms

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2012, »
I couldn't tell you the name brand because I couldn't find one anywhere!  I want to say they are "demos" originally used for testing purposes.  I'll look to see if I have the original box tomorrow.

Offline cody33rd

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2012, »
I am also getting a lag with Xlights.  I even switched computers thinking that was the problem.  I am wired and have converted all of my vixen sequences to xlights.  I only have 96 channels all running on RJ's Lynx expresses.  Running sequences with vixen no lag, run the same with xlights and I get a lag.  The scheduler in vixen was not reliable for me last year and I switched to xlights part way through the season.  I would hate to go back to the vixen scheduler.
Springville Utah

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2012, »
I'm running LOR S3 over cat5, two universes with about 565 DMX channels and the performance so far has been spot on and stable.  I'm impressed the ED works this well.  Just hope it continues.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2012, »
Fpr lor users ... Is there a reason this year to use xlights over lor now that they support e1.31 in lor ?

The talk of lag and having had lag last year ... Makes me wonder if doing my config in lor from scratch is the way to go ?   I love xlights, don't get me wrong.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2012, »
Fpr lor users ... Is there a reason this year to use xlights over lor now that they support e1.31 in lor ?

If you are using the Etherdongle and have S3 Advanced 3.8.0, then I don't see a big reason to use xLights other than its use for the Conductor.

But, if you are using the Lynx Pixelnet Dongle, then you must use xLights to get all 4096 channels out of it. LOR won't let use set all 8 universes to the same COM port.