Author Topic: Lowes light fixture  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Night Owl

Lowes light fixture
« on: October 25, 2012, »
If you are out of luck trying to find the Home Depot light, Lowes carries almost the same thing.  The handle and base are slightly different and includes a power switch.  The bezel is a little thinner.  But the case is aluminum and the reflector fits in it. 

Utilitech #0394369  500W Work Light  SKU 017398801571 model number 1002

I think it was a little over $10.  Not as good price as the Home Depot one, but it didn't look like this light was a seasonal thing.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
Lowes light fixture
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, »
I bought two of those. They work great
Sebastian from California

Offline tmcteer

Re: Lowes light fixture
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, »
If the picture is accurate then it's the same unit I purchased 4 from Northern Tool. Although I was 7.99 (now 9.99)+ a little freight in June 2012.

Tom

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, »
and the home depot one is finally in stores right now, at least in Colorado.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, »
I built mine out of the Bayco 500 watt from walmart
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, »
i used 3 home depot, and 5 northern tool units.
Each worked well. 

the problems with the size/thickness of the heat sink in the first aether builds were addressed in the second coop... thanks lonewolf!

i preferred the home depot unit because the turn-screws that connect the base to the work light case gives more freedom of movement.  I can turn the light upward with a little more range to work with.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, »
I picked up the Lowes one to build a UV floodlight using a blacklight CFL (Halloween prop).  I would have preferred the Home Depot one (I used those for my Aethers) but none of the local HDs had them in stock and I couldn't wait any longer.  The HD unit has a toothed ring that positively locks the tilt of the fixture.  The Lowes unit holds by friction and one winged screw.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, »
one thing to consider is an existing switch in the unit.  if I had a switch I would connect it with a pair of wires to the pinouts labeled "Man" on the PCB.  This allows you to manually turn on the white LED and use the fixture as a work light.

None of the units i purchased had this switch -- excepting the harbor freight units I purchased last year, but I ran the extra pair into the junction box anyway.  at some point I'll find some cheap waterproof switches and wire this up in the switchless units I now have.

the harbor freight units 'might' work, but last year's heat sink was too large and I used the boxes for 5050 "cheapo" floods.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro