Author Topic: Another ED Problem  (Read 1572 times)

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
Another ED Problem
« on: October 25, 2012, »
I'm having problems with my second EtherDongle to the point where I gave up and put it aside to do my Halloween show.  Now that the shows up and running I am going to give fixing it another shot.  The problem seems very similar to the one experienced by caretaker in the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login thread. 
First I should mention that I am currently using a working EtherDongle to run my Halloween show and I am using these connections to test the bad EtherEDongle, so I am reasonably sure that the connection wiring is OK.
I plug in the EtherDongle and the green LED and the Mag jack yellow LED light go on(the green MAG LED stays off).  When I plug in the Ethernet cable and the cable to my smart string hub there is no change to the LEDs and when I start a working Vixen sequence the pixels don't light.
The voltage coming out of the 3.3 and 5 volt regulators appears correct and I have retouched all my solder joints, just in case.  When I check the voltages across the Oscillators I get
8mhz - 3.29v - pin 4 & 8
   1.61v - pin 4 & 5
50mhz - 3.29v - pin 4 & 8
     0.89v - pin 4 & 5
When I check the small SMD chip pins 35 & 36 appear to be jumped. . I believe I was unsuccessful when I tried to clear the jump with a needle.  See attached images.  I don't see any problems with the larger SMD but my eyes aren't what they used to be.  Any ideas would be welcome but I would prefer not to try to resolder the SMD if I can help it.
Luceat lux vestra

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
Re: Another ED Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, »
Forgot to reprogram the PIC.  Just did it (I believe successfully) and now the Yellow Mag Jack LED not lit when powered up and connected to the network in place of the working one.  Everything else remains the same.
Luceat lux vestra

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, »
That bridge on the top left of your SMD chip is supposed to be there. Your mounting looks very clean. I'd look elsewhere on the board for problems.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, »
One thing I would suggest is turning up the heat on that iron a bit.  It appears that on some of those joints that the solder is not flowing fully to the component.  This tends to happen when the iron is not transferring enough heat.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, »
Looks like your soldering iron is set too low.

Should be set around 700 deg. F.

2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login