Author Topic: Bad dumb nodes  (Read 9245 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Bad dumb nodes
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2013, »
with the led's and the resistors, i can't confirm nor deny my calculations...   it doesn't add up to me, but i can't figure out why.

can someone measure the voltage output of the mr16, and the dsc while under load, as a change in voltage would cause a change in the mA received by the leds.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2013, »
Not sure what to ad to this. I can say the original DSC and strign is still working after a few months continous running and then off and on use after that testing the conductor on the bench.

The DSC works the same as a MR16 it is jsut compact and only three channels. the are ways to make light strings that do no like to be dimmed and will cause them to fail bit not sure how the strings you are using are made. I am using he ones in the wiki.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline davron12

« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2013, »
From what I've found, the problem appears to be that 1/8 watt resistors were used instead of 1/4 watt. I've been working with Ray to get that changed.

Chris' calculations are correct. At 66 RGB lights, we're at about 4 amps. The fact that we can have 100 lights on a string and still be able to measure the current at less than 4 amps, indicates that there's a voltage drop along the line and bulbs at the beginning will get a full 12V and those at the end will get less. RJ mentioned that "The last led's on the string are dimmer than the rest." in the faq. However, I can't tell the difference. Those that can should stick with shorter strings. I'm sticking with 100. This also explains why its the reds mostly at the beginning of the strings that are burning out. They're the ones getting a full 12v and overloading the resistors.

Why the MR16s don't have a problem and the DSC do, I'm going to guess it has to do with the output from the two controllers. The DSC is probably outputting a full 12v under load, and the MR16 is probably putting out less, under powering the strings and therefore not burning out the reds.

RJ - we're using the strings from Ray listed in the wiki too. If you've had yours running that long, can you see if the resistors in your dumb strings look smaller or the same size as the ones in the smart strings? If I hold mine side by side, you can easily tell they're smaller without having to cut them open. I wonder if there were a couple versions of the strings made.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2013, »
Mine is an early version and it has the same size as the smart strings.

The quote about the last light being dimmer was in relation to the Smart Strings.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline davron12

« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Mine is an early version and it has the same size as the smart strings.

That would explain why some people like myself are having problems and others are not. Mine are clearly smaller. I don't have a micrometer, but using a ruler, I'd say mine are 2.0mm x 1.25mm resistors, typically 1/8 watt. Do the math and you'll see that the red resistor actually uses double that.

The quote about the last light being dimmer was in relation to the Smart Strings.

I know, but I would assume it's for the same reason - voltage drop as you move down the string. They're the same leds. 20mA x 3 (per color) x 66 nodes = 3.96A. If 128 smart strings nodes is running under 4A total, then we're not running at full power, not that we need to be cause those babies are already blinding. I was just using that to point out that nodes at the start of either type of string are receiving a higher voltage (closer to 12V) than those at the end (less than 12V).

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2013, »
I had four node wires come out of the node.
I think it would be good for Ray to send a few extra nods with each string.
You should ask for a few extra nodes when ordering.
What you don't know. Can hurt you.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2013, »
I had four node wires come out of the node.

you're using the string in place of the tackle, right?   >:D

seriously though, how much pressure are you putting on the nodes for the wires to come out?
in a movable setting like on a horse, i'd attach the nodes to para cord.

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2013, »
They broke off as I was taking them out of the bag to test them.
There was only one string that did this.
The other strings were fine.

Further inspecting showed the  silicone were the wires were connected was lacking.
The factory didn't fill in the space completely leaving the wires being held in place by only the
solder joint.

Inspecting the good nodes showed that the wires were held in place by the silicone.
The more of the wire was being embedded in the silicone the more it seemed the wire was secure.

I connect the nodes to the tack and put no pressure n the wires once connected to the tack. I leave some slack in the wire to make sure the wire doesn't put pressure on the node.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, by sittinguphigh »

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2013, »
Where did you buy them ? If you bought them from ray, he honors the the things that he sells. He works hard to get us the quality we need and expect

Offline davron12

« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2013, »
Yeah, just email him and he'll send you replacement nodes. He keeps asking me how many nodes burnt out on mine so he can replace them, but I'm waiting until the issue of nodes burning out is fixed before I replace them.

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2013, »
I let him know about the problem. Ray didn't do any thing about it.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2013, »
Ray gave me a credit on my newest order (2 weeks ago) based on how many of the square pixels failed.

I offered to mail him some bad ones for exam but he said that they had fixed the production problem. Time will tell on that one.

Offline davron12

« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2013, »
Here's an update on the bad pixel problem...

Ray modified the dumb strings and I've tested a new string for 2 weeks, constantly on, and haven't had any nodes burn out. Looks like the problem is resolved. I was going to wait longer before posting my update, but I thought everyone would like to know since there's the new DSC coop going on.

Offline davron12

« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2013, »
I meant to say bad node problem, oops.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2013, »
does the resistors (or pcb) look different than the ones you've had trouble with?