Author Topic: Wireless access to ETD  (Read 2561 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Wireless access to ETD
« on: October 29, 2012, »
I purchased the ASUS wireless router that was mentioned in a previous post by RJ and Keith Tarpley.  I have it configured as a network adapter and I know that it works since I can connect a desktop computer to my my wireless network and it works great.  BUT.... when I plug that adapter into the Etherdongle I am getting no where.  I need some help, but do not know where to turn to.  The ETD works great in wired mode and I have been testing sequences.  All I have done is to replace the wired connection with the wireless network adapter and tried the same sequences.

RJ??
Keith??
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline deplanche

Re: Wireless access to ETD
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, »
Isn't that for use with the conductor and slave, not necessarily the etherdongle alone?

Offline injury

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, »
can you post a model number or link to the router you are using I didn't see the other thread?

Just a wild guess from the top of my head, you might need to plug it back into your PC and set it up to have a static IP address (and since you said router I'd make sure it was setup so DHCP was turned off on it too). The ETD actually works by listening for groupings of addresses and if that device was using say your PC's attempts to get a dynamic IP address as it's address it may be waiting for something like that from the ETD which will never come.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, »
Here is the link to the previous thread.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, »
Greetings,,,

Trying to see where your issue is by replicating my setup with one that hasn't been touched yet.

I just pulled a new one out of the box and set it up, replacing another one that has been working without issue.

All I had to do was set it up as a Network Adapter.  I let it pick up a IP address from my wireless router and connected to the router with secured name and password.  Once it connected I hit the remember password, which may be kept or may be from the browser.  I just hit that in case that applies to your setup.

Plugged it in and it worked on the Etherdongle without a problem.

All this is with the basic passwords out of the box, on the default address to start.  You might want to use the restore button and start from scratch, with it connected wired to your computer.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline gzformula

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, »
I have the exact same problem. ETD works fine wired, add the wireless and no lights.
The data light on the etd lights up when I play a sequence, but that's all I get.
I've hit that restore button more times than I can count, tried cross over wires, twisted, straight through, 2 different 330n's , a linksys and an actiontec. Any other ideas?

Update: so, I was looking at my router that the 330n was connecting to, and it was assigning 2 addresses to my laptop that I ran the configuration on... So.. I renamed my laptop, reconfigured the 330n, changed the name back.. Rebooted the laptop and router.. Plugged everything back in... And it worked. Yay... Now to figure out how to squeeze all this stuff in a battery box :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, by gzformula »

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, »
Still no luck even following Keith's instructions.  I can more the 330n around to different computers, but still no go with the EtD.  I can see the link light blinking away on the EtD, but it is not talking.  I will have to look at my router client list to see what that tells me.  Maybe I will just have to run a cat 5 cable from inside the house.  That is what I did last year from the USB pixelnet dongle and that will let me keep my FM transmitter in the house.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, »
Still no luck even following Keith's instructions.  I can more the 330n around to different computers, but still no go with the EtD.  I can see the link light blinking away on the EtD, but it is not talking.  I will have to look at my router client list to see what that tells me.  Maybe I will just have to run a cat 5 cable from inside the house.  That is what I did last year from the USB pixelnet dongle and that will let me keep my FM transmitter in the house.

Jim I have a wireless router setup on my laptop from last year, can bring it with me went I come to see you and maybe from what i have we can figure out your problem?

Would this Friday work for you?
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, »
Jim I have a wireless router setup on my laptop from last year, can bring it with me went I come to see you and maybe from what i have we can figure out your problem?

Friday should be good for me.  Unless you hear otherwise from me I will be home all day working on my show stuff.  My wireless router works fine.  If I direct wire from my home router to the EtD I can talk to the EtD from my laptop which is connected wireless with no problem.  It is just this little credit card size adapter that does not want to connect.  I'm just doing this so I can talk to the EtD outside the house without having to run a cable.  Of course I may have to find a giant size battery box in order to get the PS, EtD, Active Hub, and the router in one box.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, »

Want to come by my house too?  <fp.  >:D