Author Topic: Conductor with latest LSP release  (Read 5353 times)

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
Re: Conductor with latest LSP release
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hmm Ill give that a try and report back.  I'm not 100% but not sure if the conductor can play wav or not.  Looking that up......
[/quote]

If not I would make them all MP3 @ 128. I think you would even have better luck with that then having different bit rates with all of your songs.

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, »
Trying both a 128 and a wav.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Yeah my music is a mess and on one of my to do lists  :)

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, »
So no on the wav.  Conductor gui doesn't list the wav file.

128 is better not perfect, I think the rest will be just me redoing the sequence using the 128 file to adjust better.  Good thing to know before I start more :)

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, »

So no on the wav.  Conductor gui doesn't list the wav file.

128 is better not perfect, I think the rest will be just me redoing the sequence using the 128 file to adjust better.  Good thing to know before I start more :)

Hopefully you will be ok. LSP is really funny about a lot of things.... I am in the same boat as I plan on running with conductor this year. I guess we will see!  ;D

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, »
Conductor is MP3 files only.

The timeing being off should not get off do to the conductor. The beta guys used different MP3 files and I hae used lots of different formats. I only used Vixen for my shows but some of the beta guys used LSP and this was not an issue that every came up on the beta.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
Conductor with latest LSP release
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, »
Yep I didn't think it was the conductor, just got bit by lsp and the bitrate problem doing the sequence.  Oh well at least I know now.

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, »
I could see how a high bitrate file could cause the conductor issues given the extra bandwidth required and decoding time on the chip.  I would stay with 192k or 128k.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, »
I don't agree as I have run 320k on it. The lights are synced to the music so it is the music driving things. I am sure it is possible to find a way to make a problem but it has been good with everything I have thrown at it from 128k - 320k. i would avoid the 320k myself as it adds no noticable improvment to qualitty in my opinion but does work the conductor harder. So 192 is great and what I use in real workd use.

RJ

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, »
Yea, I saw 320kbps listed as working after I made my post. I wonder if it could be VBR vs CBR causing an issue. 

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, »
Tonight I had some more time to play with the conductor using the current release of LSP.  I am pleased to say my test sequence ran.  I can't confirm if they stay in sync, but LSP is now exporting. 

I am so impressed with the conductor and Pixelnet.  I setup everything, pressed start and it worked!  Just awesome.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2012, »
Tonight I had some more time to play with the conductor using the current release of LSP.  I am pleased to say my test sequence ran.  I can't confirm if they stay in sync, but LSP is now exporting. 

I am so impressed with the conductor and Pixelnet.  I setup everything, pressed start and it worked!  Just awesome.

That is good new. The one question that I would have though has to do with channel count. That is what made my timing off in LSP. I run a half hour show with say 10-15 sequences (some very short, but in LSP it was adding up) with 7000 channels after time it would bog down LSP. I know that conductor is driving it now, but with sequnces wriiten in LSP is that still going to be an issue?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2012, »
Let me explain as this seems to be a common area of concern to everyone with only a few having real info to post and most basically guessing and posting as fact.

1- No matter what software you export your seqence out of, once it is in conductor format, unless the software is not exporting it with the correct data in the right timeslot then the seqenceing software has o impact on the conductor. The conductor format is a little like Vixen 2.X in that it uses at XXX time the channel XXXX should be light level XXX. it does no calculations to figure out what the software wanted. That is done in the exporting part and so the file for the conductor is a complete time slot by time slot set of values to put the lights at. this is why the files are large. But also why I can do over 16000 channels on this little hardware.

2 - The Conductor is like DMX, What I mean is it always sends out 16,384 channels no matter what size your show it. The file always is the same size for each min of show no matter what. The hardware always does the same amount of work no matter if your show is 1 channel or 16,384 channels. It is optmized to do this and will not bog down as you add channels. It runs the same on 1 or 16,384 channels.

3 -The conductor always sends out 16,384 channels even if nothing changes just like DMX so a communication hiccup will not cause a "hung channel" It will update on the next 50 ms update.

4 - No matter what you do the output from the conductor will be at 50ms updates. You are going to just load your systems down setting the seqencing software to 10ms settings. The export is going to output the status of the lights every 50ms to the file for the conductor to output.

5 - The music and seqence should not get off using the conductor. If it does you need to look at the seqence and then the export. The conductor calibrates the seqence to the music once every second. To give you an idea how close this keeps the timing, if I disable the syncing of the two the clocks are accurate enough it takes 8 - 10 minutes before the lights and music get out of sync enough to visually perceive it. So updating it every seconds keeps it well in hand.

Hope this clears up a few things for everyone.

RJ

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2012, »
Thanks for the information RJ. You are correct in the fact that I do not have true data as I do not have my conductor yet. I did not mean to infer that I was going to have the same issues, just saying what happened in the past. As I posted in the COOP I am like a kid on Christmas Eve.....I cannot wait to get my conductor and start playing!!! Thank you for all that you do and once again I appologize if it sounded like I was expecting problems!  <res. Quite on the contrary I have hoping to solve a lot of problems!!!

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2012, »
Let me explain as this seems to be a common area of concern to everyone with only a few having real info to post and most basically guessing and posting as fact.

1- No matter what software you export your seqence out of, once it is in conductor format, unless the software is not exporting it with the correct data in the right timeslot then the seqenceing software has o impact on the conductor. The conductor format is a little like Vixen 2.X in that it uses at XXX time the channel XXXX should be light level XXX. it does no calculations to figure out what the software wanted. That is done in the exporting part and so the file for the conductor is a complete time slot by time slot set of values to put the lights at. this is why the files are large. But also why I can do over 16000 channels on this little hardware.

2 - The Conductor is like DMX, What I mean is it always sends out 16,384 channels no matter what size your show it. The file always is the same size for each min of show no matter what. The hardware always does the same amount of work no matter if your show is 1 channel or 16,384 channels. It is optmized to do this and will not bog down as you add channels. It runs the same on 1 or 16,384 channels.

3 -The conductor always sends out 16,384 channels even if nothing changes just like DMX so a communication hiccup will not cause a "hung channel" It will update on the next 50 ms update.

4 - No matter what you do the output from the conductor will be at 50ms updates. You are going to just load your systems down setting the seqencing software to 10ms settings. The export is going to output the status of the lights every 50ms to the file for the conductor to output.

5 - The music and seqence should not get off using the conductor. If it does you need to look at the seqence and then the export. The conductor calibrates the seqence to the music once every second. To give you an idea how close this keeps the timing, if I disable the syncing of the two the clocks are accurate enough it takes 8 - 10 minutes before the lights and music get out of sync enough to visually perceive it. So updating it every seconds keeps it well in hand.

Hope this clears up a few things for everyone.

RJ

someone needs to sticky this post by itself, or add to the etherdongle area of the wiki functions and use.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2012, »
I've been playing around some more today with my one sequence that drifts.  In no way am I saying its the conductor, I never thought that.  I knew it was a me/audio format/output data.

I used audicity to clean up the mp3 and exported to 16 bit, 128 constant 44.1. 

Exported again in LSP and gave it a run on the conductor with the better mp3, much better but not perfect, I'd say like a half second or so off now instead of the original 2-3 seconds.  Again its all me and making the mistake on the audio file before I sequenced.

I've also been testing Frank's lighting elf tool with this same sequence.  Ran fine in xlights for 15 days or so.  I then tested the conductor output his tool creates also to give feedback to Frank.  Same results as LSP using the 256 mp3 file so I tried with the 128 mp3 and blam spot on.  Differences in the output file do make the difference, what that is I can't tell you exactly :)