Author Topic: power supply  (Read 2153 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
power supply
« on: November 03, 2012, »
will this power supply work for the active hub? non of the adds that i am seeing is showing the amps. my current draw is going to be 39 amps so i need a 50 amp supply.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

thanks

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: power supply
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, »
this is the power supply that i use to run my mega tree.

it's single rail with 50A @12V

just under the "may we suggest" area, are tabs, click on specs to see the specs.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, »
i guess i was still half asleep when i was reading the description. i was looking at the specs and didn't even see the +12v@50a. thanks for seeing clearly for me! lol

duane
Florence, KY

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, »
did you buy the extended warranty with yours? 3 year free replacement sounds appealing for 12 bucks.
Florence, KY

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, »
i don't usually buy extended warranties on items below a certain dollar amount. If it's something I can't easily replace (like a refrigerator, or a laptop) then i'll get one.

the best insurance policy for a power supply is to buy two now, so you're not waiting for "warranty returns" to get your show running.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, »
The warranty also assumes that the PS will be used as intended and not in an outdoor situation used to power non PC devices.  If they see corrosion inside the supply due to the humid non-temperature controlled outside conditions, they will not honor the warranty and may actually come after you.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
they will not honor the warranty and may actually come after you.

WHAT!

They can not come after you or any such non sense. The worst they can do is not honor the warranty which they must be able to show reason to refuse it. If the user does not put it in a suitable case and it gets wet, then the user should not try to warranty it.

Has anyone had a power supply be refused to be replaced because it was not used in a computer that was not modified?  How did they know what you use it for? I would like to hear the exact info as I believe it is unlikely this has happened. 

RJ

Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, »
It depends on who is providing the warranty and you really should read the contract that comes with some of these "extended " warranties before making the claim that they will do nothing.  I agree that it is unlikely thay they will do much more than void that extended warranty but if they start getting a rash of returns .......   The few of these extended warranty contracts that I bothered to read are very clear on the usage of the product that they are offering the warranty on and if you don't follow that and then try and make a claim against it while lying to them about how it was used, you are basically stealing from them and in that case they do have some recourse, especially if they paid out. 

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, »
considering that the sell thousands of a particular model, and many of us don't even have the same model.  and collectively, our couple hundred power supplies would hardly show up as a "rash of returns..."

I've seen corroded power supplies in a pc as well.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, »
I'm not going to get into an argument over this.  All I said was that they may do more than just refuse the warranty and of there is a large number or returns they may do more.  Many of the better PS have lifetime warranties anyway and manufacturers tend to be a little more critical of extended warranties.  Sometimes the extended warranty is not even offered by the manufacturer and in that case, they are far more than a little critical as their survival depends on it.  All I did was give a warning that spending the money on an extended warranty at best could prove to be a waste of that money and it could possibly be worse. 

Offline rm357

power supply
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, »
I think with the low dollar value and volume sales of these devices it is unlikely that they will come after you.

However, if the warranty is specific about how the device can be used and you knowingly misrepresent how you used the device, then technically you are committing intent to defraud. I forget the dollar value, but I'm thinking under $1000 is a misdemeanor and over $1000 is a felony...

Most manufacturers are just going to void the warranty rather than risk the bad press...
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline injury

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, »
I'd personally consider any amount of extended warranty a waste of cash on the psu's as most of us use them in lighting. Plug it in for a good burn in to be sure it isn't a lemon then you use it a couple of months out of the year at most? I think what you'd have to watch for is water intrusion which they'd most likely detect and void, or bugs/dirt dauber nests in them while in storage that also wouldn't be a manufactuers defect.

Have to remember the extended warranty prices are set with a profit line based on some of the same actuary math that life insurance and such is priced on. So if they are expecting to profit off that $12 based on tables using people that are buying these for use in a PC that will leave them running 365 days a year and you are running it 60-90 days seems like not such a good chance of using it. You are also gambling for our purposes that the active hub and PSU technologies stay the same for greater than 2 more years such that it won't be obsolete.

$50 dollar item with a 2 year warranty, 1/4 of that price for the extended...no thanks I'll keep my extra money for use towards another new psu for more lights.

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, »
I couldn't agree more with Injury.  Most extended warranties never get used (i.e. math that Injury talked about).  Then you have to find the paperwork and so on.  Not only is the math against you, the system is against you.

Usually a two year warranty is actually only a 1 year extension of the warranty.  This is because the first year runs concurrently with the manufacturer's warrant.

NOW FOR THE KICKER!!!

If you buy on American Express (and I think other credit cards are this way), they extend the warranty by up to a year for FREE!!!  So why spend the money when everything is already there? 

Doesn't make sense to me even without the math and system being against you.  Then throw in how lightly they will be used (as Injury said) and extended warranties on this are just silly.

Offline rm357

power supply
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, »
For big ticket items, sometimes I'll go for the extended warranty if it includes in home service.

For power supplies... The cost of shipping it back + cost of extended warranty + hassle of finding paperwork + uncertainty and the waiting game... I tend to agree. Keep the money and just buy a new one. Not to mention that the factory replacement will most likely be a refurb...

Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, »
So in other words we have no one sitting in jail for using a pc power supply for lights or as a bench power supply, Theres a shocker!

Also when you start talking about fraud then we are talking a different ballgame. It would require you to falseify paperwork or ect. Lets say I use a power supply for my lights, As I have said I am a honest person so I have keep it dry and not done anything that would damage it. It quits working under the 1 yr warranty. So I contact say newegg where I bought it and say my power supply died, they give me an RMA# and I ship it back. I receive a replacement. I hate to bust bubbles, no fraud has taken place. No one will show up and arrest me. the supply died during its warranty and it was replaced. If you guys abuse your supplies by getting them wet shorting them out ect and try to warranty them, then that is your fault for being dishonest.  My prototype of the smart strings I was testing on the bench and did something stupid. Blew out the power supply. I did not warranty it. This would be dishonest. But if a supply dies for no reason and I believe it is defective you can bet I will get an RMA# and replace it. I have not had to do this yet. All my supplies are out of warranty now so doubt I will need to.

This post has taken a serious over the top turn. All waranties can be voided over misuse. But using the device within its design limits is not misuse. I can use my camaro to pull a tree down as long as I do not exceed its specs and limits and they will have to warranty it. Lots of case law to back up what I am saying not just my opinion.

look up "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" read the whole thing. Then look at apple "they put in their warranty that unlocking the iphone to use other services voided their warranty" google and check out how that worked for them. 

It is on the manufactor that denies a warraty to show it was abused outside its design limits.  Now what is in a contact you sign up for extend warranty can be anything they want it to say. "You can only use your computer on sundays, ect." as this is not the manufactor warranty.

My point is simply this. Let keep things on the real side when we post. No one is in jail for using their power supply for lights and warranting it. If they are in jail there is a lot more to it than that. I can lie to a police officer and unless I am under sworn oath it is not illegal.

If you abuse your power supply by getting it wet or shorting it out ect. then don't warranty it. If there is no reason for it to have died "powering lights with it is not a reason" then warranty it without fear of the warranty police showing up at your door. Its is that simple.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying