Author Topic: Where is Channel ID Stored?  (Read 973 times)

Offline deplanche

Where is Channel ID Stored?
« on: November 05, 2012, »
I am trying to test some of my pixelnet equipment all together before setting up my christmas show, and I think I am getting things confused.  I've gone thru the videos and documentation, but wanted to clarify where the channel numbers are "stored" for these before I start setting up. 

Hubs
From what I can tell, the active and passive hubs do not have a starting address, so these are fully interchangeable and can be placed anywhere.  Also, the output from all the jacks are the same, so it doesn't matter what one you connect to.  So I don't need to pay any attention as to where I place these when setting up my show. 

Dumb Strings
The dumb strings themselves are dumb (no chips on them) and don't store any information.  So they get all of their information from the dumb string controller.  The dumb string controllers (DSC) need to be programmed with a starting address.  So when testing or running a show, the starting address moves with the dumb string controller, so these are NOT readily interchangeable (they would need to be reprogrammed with a new starting address to function as intended).  So I don't need to pay attention to where I place the dumb strings for the show, but I need to pay attention to where I place the DSCs.

Smart Strings
I think that each node of a smart string knows its start address once programmed, and that the Smart String controller (SSC) doesn't store this information so they are fully interchangeable.  So you need to make sure that your smart strings are placed correctly, but you don't need to worry about which SSC you are connecting them to. 

Does this seem right?  My testing seems to indicate this is the case, but this is my 3rd or 4th theory on this so I am not positive.  I want to make sure I get this right before I start moving stuff outside.

Offline jeffcoast

Re: Where is Channel ID Stored?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, »
The Hubs do not have an address, but they do have a Universe, 1 through 4. Each Hub will let you use 4096 channels, assuming you are using pixelnet. The controllers plugged into each hub have to be programmed from 1 to 4096 and nothing higher. In your software, you will program them 1 to 16,384 and the hub universe 2 to 3 will assign them to the appropriate 1-4096 address for the controllers.

Smart string and dumb strings work the same way, the strings themselves do not get addressed, but they address is on the controller. The only difference is dumb string controllers use 3 channels to control the whole string always.

The Smart String Controllers give you finer control to go from controlling the whole string as 1 or down to single pixel control. When you set them up you tell the controller how many pixels are on the string, the controller then picks the data that is appropriate for that string and sends it out as a stream from 1 to 384. The pixels themselves take the info and uses the first 3 bits for itself, then strips that off and sends the rest to the next, so the order of the pixels determines its actual channel. The second pixel would only get the info from 4 to 384.

Here is a file on the wiki which shows the channels to use in the software for each Hub universe and if you have any DMX it shows those also. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
...  In your software, you will program them 1 to 16,384

Depends on the software.

In LOR S3 3.5.0 Advanced (latest version is 3.8.0), which can talk to a E1.31 Pixelnet ED without problem, your universes still only have 512 channels. But - you have 32 universes. Since I use LOR, I try to put the "Pixelnet channel" in the channel name, along with the noun name (like - "Snowman Left Arm - 745" and "Snowman Right Arm - 746").

LightshowPro and Vixen have their own ways and need drivers to act that way. LOR needs no drivers. (because your brain does all the numbering work)

Offline deplanche

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, »
So both SSCs and DSCs have the start channel associated with them and can't be interchanged without reprogramming the start address?

And both the smart and dumb strings will just respond to the controlled attached to them, not to anything on their own?

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, »
a SSC Pic's holds the start address, and some other pieces of information. number of nodes, the type of string, if there's any grouping involved (v3 mod) etc, etc.

the nodes themselves kinda act like when you try to fill up an ice cube tray from one end...   once that compartment fills up, then the rest of the water overflows into the next compartment, etc.. the string do the same, each node "fills up" with the data, then pass what's left on to the next node until the the data runs out, or you reach the end of the line.

DSC's act like a SSC attached to only one node. the pic stores the start address.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So both SSCs and DSCs have the start channel associated with them and can't be interchanged without reprogramming the start address?

And both the smart and dumb strings will just respond to the controlled attached to them, not to anything on their own?
Yes to both questions
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL