Author Topic: Theory of/on sequencing  (Read 2882 times)

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
Theory of/on sequencing
« on: November 05, 2012, »
I have just been pondering ways to make my sequencing a little easier/faster.  I will have somewhere around 7000 total channels this year with all the RGB stuff, but only about 100 of those are regular DMX channels.  I have actually started sequencing just the DMX items in my sequences.  I can get through those pretty quickly as I have done them for years and they are simple to do.  My deduction is that I can't imagine trying to do those with an extra 7000 channels thrown in.  Just finding them could take a while.  I know you can reorder stuff, etc., but you get the idea.

So......what if I create 2 sequences of the same song.  One is the basic DMX stuff (and probably the single string mode of the hybrid smart strings since those only add 3 more channels per string and would not be cumbersome to work with) and the other would be the RGB stuff that I will probably use nutcracker for 99%+ of?  I mean, if I use projects, that is just geared for this kind of thing.  I could spit out the entire RGB sequence with a project.  When I am finished with both, I combine them at the end into one "master" sequence for the song.  That seems so much easier to manage and control.  I also think the adjustable preview will work out much better since I use it EXTENSIVELY to get my show correct.

Am I a genius?  Am I crazy?  Thoughts?

-Keith

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Theory of/on sequencing
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, »
have you looked at nutcracker software?

You could easy do all of the rgb channels with that and add it to your dmx channels

just my 2 cents

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, »
Yes definitely looked at it and plan on using it as stated.  Sounds like we might be talking the same thing.  Sequence the simple stuff first and use nutcracker to add the RGB at the end.

-Keith

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
Theory of/on sequencing
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, »
I have just been pondering ways to make my sequencing a little easier/faster.  I will have somewhere around 7000 total channels this year with all the RGB stuff, but only about 100 of those are regular DMX channels.  I have actually started sequencing just the DMX items in my sequences.  I can get through those pretty quickly as I have done them for years and they are simple to do.  My deduction is that I can't imagine trying to do those with an extra 7000 channels thrown in.  Just finding them could take a while.  I know you can reorder stuff, etc., but you get the idea.

So......what if I create 2 sequences of the same song.  One is the basic DMX stuff (and probably the single string mode of the hybrid smart strings since those only add 3 more channels per string and would not be cumbersome to work with) and the other would be the RGB stuff that I will probably use nutcracker for 99%+ of?  I mean, if I use projects, that is just geared for this kind of thing.  I could spit out the entire RGB sequence with a project.  When I am finished with both, I combine them at the end into one "master" sequence for the song.  That seems so much easier to manage and control.  I also think the adjustable preview will work out much better since I use it EXTENSIVELY to get my show correct.

-Keith

Not crazy.

I will have 96 channels Of lynx express, 3 Aether II's so 9 more channels.
3 DMX controllers in my coro star, 9 more channels.

Then I have 20x120 flex strips and 16x128 pixel strings.

These will make my rgb tree, eaves, windows and arches.

I plan on setting aside the first 256 channels for DMV, I will then use the next 13K channels for RGB.

I was thinking of offering the ability to set the starting channel for each string in a target.

So instead of a bars effect starting from channel #1 , it would start at 257

Does this make sense?
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, »
I don't know what sequencing program you're using, but I've found modifying my Vixen profiles so that all the RGB object hybrid channels are on top can be huge.  (I prefer hybrid mode for sequencing since there are times when I want things to all be one color.)

You can edit the .PRO Vixen file in a text editor.  (It beats trying to move things around in Vixen.)  There's a RGB channel utility that I think Rick wrote.  That may help you with channel management too.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, »
so....  the order in the pro file, is the order in vixen?   they don't have to be in numerical order?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline mms

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, »
No, the PRO file does need to have all the channels "accounted" for otherwise you'll get errors.  I'll try to screen shot one tonight.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, »
I Don't recommend playing with the .pro file unless you totally understand how to edit a XML file.
Even then work off of a copy of your .pro file and not the original

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, »

-Keith

Not crazy.

I will have 96 channels Of lynx express, 3 Aether II's so 9 more channels.
3 DMX controllers in my coro star, 9 more channels.

Then I have 20x120 flex strips and 16x128 pixel strings.

These will make my rgb tree, eaves, windows and arches.

I plan on setting aside the first 256 channels for DMV, I will then use the next 13K channels for RGB.

I was thinking of offering the ability to set the starting channel for each string in a target.

So instead of a bars effect starting from channel #1 , it would start at 257

Does this make sense?

I think we are on the same page here. 

BTW, awesome job on nutcracker.  I have yet to get in my kudos so wanted to do that now.

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, »
I'm using Vixen BTW.  I thought strongly about HLS, but I hear the preview is a little limited and I use the heck out of preview in Vixen...plus I just didn't feel I had the time to learn a new program at this late date.  May try it next year.

-Keith

Offline mms

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, »
I'll probably use HLS next year just because I like the features I've seen so far.  I just don't have the time to convert sequences to RGB AND another sequencer.

And, had I read the thread at the top, I would have known which sequencer!  DUH!  LOL.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, »
Does HLS support the conductor?

Rick R.

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, »
Does HLS support the conductor?

Rick R.

I forgot....that was the other thing....I don't think it has conductor support.  That was the kicker.

-Keith

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, »
Editing a pro file can be a little easier if you use the ctrl click option.  Thefollowing is from my collection of vixen tips and tricks I have been collecting for years.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Select your profile from the profile manager.
Set the channel order to the one you want to change or one that will be a good starting point.
Select define new order.
Move your channels around as needed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My favorite trick is to double click between channels to set an insertion point, then hold control and any channel you click on will be moved to that point.
when done save the current channel order, either as a new name or an existing name to over write it.

I usually make one channel order by color.  So I double click where I want to start and then just scroll down and ctrl click on every line with that color.  If you make a mistake you can go back and move a single channel later or drag and drop a couple to rearrange.  I always seem to get a couple of them out of order while I am doing the ctrl click.

Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, »
A few things about Nutcracker. 

First, Nutcracker does generate Vix and Vir files for Vixen and does so well, HOWEVER, these files are ordered by Nutcracker with the pixel order in which you set your target models. 

Second, Nutcracker does not (yet) have a utility for setting the start address of a 'project' (our vernacular for a sequence).  We hope to provide this in the next major release of NC after the holidays. 

Third, Nutcracker does not account for multiple elements in the sequence (yet).  In other words, right now you can sequence a single element like a mega-tree, all of your single-strand effects, your rgb matrix, etc., but you have to do this individually within the application.  This isn't a major limitation (IMO) and we are looking to allow for something we are calling a MEGA-project in the future (where you sequence ALL of your elements within the megaproject). 

One thing we are NOT trying to be in Nutcracker is a replacement for the sequencers (we always say we are not in the sequencing business -- just an enhancement to the existing ones!)

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login