Author Topic: Do I really need to mount my smart strings in or on something?  (Read 759 times)

Offline FireMedic4Christ

I took down my Halloween lights tonight and decided I had just enough time before dark to experiment on how I am going to mount the new smart strings. Test one was just using the same all in one clips I have used for years. I used one clip per pixel and I think it will work just fine. Secondary factor here is I am moving and don't want to invest a lot of custom fit smart strings fixtures that will likely not fit the next house. My main question in on how they stand up to the weather. These are going to replace the C9s on my roof and have the cover installed. Should I put some silicone on the back of the pixel where the wires enter and exit?

Thanks for the advice,
Brian

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
if you got your smart string nodes when they first were available, i'd add something to the back.   

if you picked up some recently, they should be fine
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline FireMedic4Christ

These are the latest generation of smart strings from Ray ( ip68 ). They are definitely better protected than the first gen I purchased.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, by FireMedic4Christ »

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
they should be good to go
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline injury

I'm not certain where mine stand so I found some clear liquid tape spray at harbor freight I plan on hitting the bases where the wires go into the nodes with. I purchased my last Sep/Oct and they were listed ip68. That seems to be the only questionable spot on mine as I've noticed a few have had been stripped what appears to be above the sealer. Good news is it seems like the nodes like that are breaking wires in moving around during testing so finding them hasn't been a chore.