Author Topic: what type case for etherdongle ; i could not find posted on wiki or in manual  (Read 3190 times)

Offline sabie

• Santa's Runway
    • Santas-Runway-Christmas-Lights-Display
what type case for etherdongle ; i could not find posted on wiki or in manual
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
Cases are special ordered from Polycase pre-cut.
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Cases are special ordered from Polycase pre-cut.
That is the first I've heard that.  How does one request the pre-cut cases?  Which ones can we order... USB Dongle cases?  TX/RX cases?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
I have two ether dongles and they are from two different coops.  Both coops included cases.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline DanHouston

I don't know the answer, but since you can buy the etherdongle in the store and get the parts through Mouser knowing the case (if you are not buying in a coop) would be important information to add to the wiki. I'll look on mine tonight and see if there is anything to give a clue about the case.
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
I don't know the answer, but since you can buy the etherdongle in the store and get the parts through Mouser knowing the case (if you are not buying in a coop) would be important information to add to the wiki. I'll look on mine tonight and see if there is anything to give a clue about the case.

True but if I had the info it would be in there. I try my best to provide all that I can.  :)

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise

True but if I had the info it would be in there. I try my best to provide all that I can.  :)

Rick R.

Rick you do a GREAT JOB! Thanks for all that you do!  <res.

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
This looks close to me

I don't see anything on the case to know for sure.

Offline DanHouston

Rick R.

I was not picking on you Rick....You do a great job. I was just pointing out there is more than one way to get the Etherdongle. :)
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Guys I was just messing.

When I saw that the etherdongle was in the store and a member asked about the bom that is when I added it to the wiki. I knew that there would be a problem with the case. I wonder if we just call polycase and ask them if the mod for the case is available or can only RJ get it. I know that at one point he sent them a etherdongle so they could properly line up the cut outs.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
Guys I was just messing.

When I saw that the etherdongle was in the store and a member asked about the bom that is when I added it to the wiki. I knew that there would be a problem with the case. I wonder if we just call polycase and ask them if the mod for the case is available or can only RJ get it. I know that at one point he sent them a etherdongle so they could properly line up the cut outs.

Rick R.

The 'orders' for the cutouts are already to polycase for all pre-cut cases.  The issue is really about quantity.  I may be incorrect (just because I have never asked our polycase rep -- but will) however, I believe polycase requires a minimum number to be cut.  I will check with them and get back to the group about the pre-cutting. 

As to the cases themselves, let me look them up on the order and I will get you guys the correct part number.  What I want to RJ about is whether the store wants to carry pre-cut cases as well as PCBs in the store.  I believe the issue for carrying in the store will be one of space (these boxes from Polycase with all the cases are HUGE!)

I will follow this post up with the details on the cases (non-pre-cut) for EX/TX and Etherdongles (as I have run COOPs for both I have the info saved somewhere, just need to dig it up!)

Kurt
------

Offline DanHouston

Thanks Kurt.
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline DanHouston

Got this from Kurt a little bit ago:
Here are the specs for the ETD cases:
PARTLP-35FMBGMACHININGPRINTINGTOTAL(each)
1$3.93$62.50$0.00$66.43
10$3.65$6.70$0.00$10.35
25$3.65$2.98$0.00$6.63
50$3.52$1.74$0.00$5.26
100$3.31$1.12$0.00$4.43
250$3.15$0.74$0.00$3.89

PCB Mounting screws cost $3.50 per 100

None of these costs include shipping.

2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
Realize that pre-cut cases are probably a non-option.  $66.43 per case at qty 1 through 9.  That is steep.

As you can see, we typically order between 150-200 of these and the cost goes down significantly! ($4.43 a case!)

What I reco is that you order the LP-35FMBG without pre-cut and cut them yourselves (save ya $62.50 for the 'machining')

Kurt
------

Offline tbone321

If the EtherDongle is going to be kept in the store, perhaps on the next coop some extra cases could also be ordered at the low price and put in the store as well or combined with the Ehterdongle boards and sold as a set.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving