Author Topic: CF Adapter Problems  (Read 5971 times)

Offline dcwehw99

• Beta Tester
Re: CF Adapter Problems
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2012, »
John,
- Are your files names 8 characters of less?
- Have you deleted or renamed any files on the CF card?
- The gap at the main and power connectors isn't a problem.
- Have you tested connectivity between each of the 50 pins and their corresponding pad on the CF card?

Denny

Offline cavu2u

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
John,
- Are your files names 8 characters of less?
- Have you deleted or renamed any files on the CF card?
- The gap at the main and power connectors isn't a problem.
- Have you tested connectivity between each of the 50 pins and their corresponding pad on the CF card?

Denny

- yes, files are 8.3
- no, I have not deleted or renamed files on the CF card
- N/A
- I have tested a few connections, just feel like I'm missing quite a few(missing , as in, I can't see what I'm hitting with the DMM) - it's hard to tell since I'll have to do it with a magnifier.

Guess that's the next step - the probes seem so big on the DMM (I feel like I'm threading a needle with a rope)

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2012, »
At lunch today, I said, let me try one more thing. With the spacers in place, I noticed there is a bit of a gap at the main connection and at the power header - like 1/16". I took out the spacer and tried with it flush to the connectors - nuttin'.

The conductor was designed to have a space between the header and the socket. This is so that you can get a screwdriver in there to help pry it up evenly if you want to remove it.

The best way to do the initial test on the conductor is to connect the ethernet port directly to the computer. This will eliminate any potential issues that may be caused by a router, switch or your network. If it works this way and then you connect it to your router, you know the problem is in the router and not the conductor. Or if it doesn't work, you know the problem is most likely in the conductor.

Offline cavu2u

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2012, »
At lunch today, I said, let me try one more thing. With the spacers in place, I noticed there is a bit of a gap at the main connection and at the power header - like 1/16". I took out the spacer and tried with it flush to the connectors - nuttin'.

The best way to do the initial test on the conductor is to connect the ethernet port directly to the computer. This will eliminate any potential issues that may be caused by a router, switch or your network. If it works this way and then you connect it to your router, you know the problem is in the router and not the conductor. Or if it doesn't work, you know the problem is most likely in the conductor.

At one point, I did connect directly to the computer - my assumption was since the Etherdongle worked through the same router, same port, same cable immediately prior to trying it with the Conductor, it should work afterward.

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2012, »
From your previous posts, I could not tell if you were having issues with the ethernet connection since you mentioned the lights being on then off and possibly loss of connection. This is why I suggested connecting directly to the EtherDongle until you get it working. The etherdongle should connect to the network even if the CF card has an issue. You will simply have a card error.

If you have several pins on the CF card not connected, the best thing to do is resolder them all. Then you don't have to worry about missing one. Just make sure you have enough solder there to make a good joint.

At one point during the beta, I had a similar issue where the ED would not do anything. I believe I ended up reflashing the PIC with the ED power cord disconnected and everything started working, but I can't remember if that is the only thing I did.

Offline kjam22

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2012, »
I was using a continuity tester to try to find any of the tabs with solder bridges and I found continuity between several of the tabs in the middle of the socket.  I can't see any bridges in the solder but since I don't have a schematic I don't know if the pins are tied together on the board or not.

So the question is, are any of the tabs tied together either in the socket or on the board?

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2012, »
Here is a sample pinout for the CF card (This may not be the actual pinout on the conductor). Several of the pins are tied to ground or 5v. So, yes many of them will be tied together.

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2012, »
Two CF card adapters, one totally unsoldered, the other half unsoldered.  Created a few solder bridges on both and I can't get rid of them.  Going to take a break before frustration makes the problem worse.  Heh.   

Offline cavu2u

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2012, »
From your previous posts, I could not tell if you were having issues with the ethernet connection since you mentioned the lights being on then off and possibly loss of connection. This is why I suggested connecting directly to the EtherDongle until you get it working. The etherdongle should connect to the network even if the CF card has an issue. You will simply have a card error.
At one point during the beta, I had a similar issue where the ED would not do anything. I believe I ended up reflashing the PIC with the ED power cord disconnected and everything started working, but I can't remember if that is the only thing I did.

The light I was referring to was on the router, just a simple connection light like the green light on the magjack(is also flashes on and off trying to connect).

I was thinking of re-flashing the PIC as well - I'll try that

Thanks for the help.

Somethin's gonna happen soon - I hung a gutterline with lights today.  :)  I just want the Conductor to be part of it.