Software > Light Show Pro

MIdi, LSP, and honest feedback

<< < (2/3) > >>

arw01:
my daughter that has a keyboard that probably has midi out, but figuring out the cables, how to make things listen, seemed daunting to play.

See if they will extended your option for the sale while you test it, since it will be hard to really test it in 1 day and decide to buy or not buy  ;P

taybrynn:
Wow, thats a really interesting idea/plan you have there.  I would never do it, but I also don't have the skill to even try.  I know LOR always had the ability to use MIDI files for sequencing, which would mean you would just need a way to record them and then import the .midi file into the software to establish your initial sequence.  I'm not sure what the LSP feature is exactly, but I did read that "You can use Korg's nano device drive to input into LSP but that's about it for MIDI" ... and that only the Korg was supported.  So like many things in LSP, its kind of a gimmick unless that fits your needs exactly.  Personally, you could import into LOR (possibly the free version), save it as an .lms sequence file ... then import into xlights/nutcracker and do that all for free, possibly.

Also, LSP does not output to MIDI devices, just allows the Korg to serve as an input device ... and even then, not sure who has used it.  I would not buy it just to find out, unless someone can tell you for sure in advance.

MrChristmas2000:
Now confirmed by Ryan.

Just as I thought had been covered in the QCC meetings is that the MIDI and Wii functionality has been taken out of the scheduler.

taybrynn:
Another option might be to use audacity and possibly come up with some timings from that (it probably takes MIDI input) ... and then throw it into xlights/nutcracker. 

GrumpkaXmas:
Well, sad to hear that they removed midi.   They really need to remove that from the feature list asap.   It's boasted about in a couple places.  I was attracted to LSP based on the features being listed on the home page and feature sheet.   That should be updated I guess.

So you don't think I'm crazy,  here is the proof of concept video.  Whether LSP is going to do this or not, there is definately a movement toward DMX controlled from DAW and Midi software.   DMXIS is a VST plugin which give Ableton Live, FL Studio and many other packages the ability to control DMX lighting right from those packages.

I'm going the free/cheap route, so I may share with the lighting enthusiasts who enjoy midi and want to record shows live for playback.
I mention details in the video.  I don't want to get off topic here though...  So, we can talk about that in a new thread if there is interest and it is appropriate conversation for DIYA.

Here's the video: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This is an LSP thread, so out of respect for LSP and those who enjoy it,  I'll say that I'm very impressed with the interface as a whole.  If I were to end up going the route of point/click show creation, I'd pick LSP hands down.   I liked it right from the demo, even without midi.  It's much more feature rich and I think professional than other options I've seen.   So, I want to leave that on a high note.  I personally have nothing against LSP, beyond this confusion about MIDI/OSC in put options....

THanks again guys.  I'll continue to follow LSP on Facebook and maybe I can shed some light  <fp.  on why midi is a great thing to keep in LSP.   I won't give up! ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version