Author Topic: Recreating This Effect  (Read 2716 times)

Offline NewfieGuy

Recreating This Effect
« on: November 15, 2012, »
Hey,

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Can someone tell me what would be needed to re-create the effect on the house that is being used on this awesome light show at 1:06 into the video?  I'm assuming it's smart LEDs that are used but what would I need to re-create it in my display?

Also, the bright lights he has around the top of his home... Any idea what type of flood light and equipment that would be needed?

I love what he does in his videos and his design is very simple but powerful.  He does an amazing job.

Thanks,
Shannon

Offline sean815

Re: Recreating This Effect
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, »
LSP software has transitions that you can use to put this effect onto the RGB lights. However, you would probably need to create a short video clip or find one to create this effect.
The bright lights are just dmx spot floods pointed at the audience instead of the house. I use rainbow floods for my floods but others here use the Aethers.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, »
Truthfully that effect is rather simple in LSP.  There are variations of the effect too.  Yep, smart flex strips and LSP are the key.  I think it is a gradient wipe but not 100%.  Hardest part is getting the effect timed to the beat.  Not simple but not impossible either.   Somewhere on the web the owner posted all the info if you want it. 

I believe the bright lights are 10W dmx like these: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, »
Whilst it's not quite as good as the first link. Here's my efforts this year for Halloween.

Using equipment from here, Light Show Pro, and LED Flexstrips.

The color wipes were using LSP's Color Slider Macro:

Offline NewfieGuy

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, »
Thanks everyone for the relies.  So if I plan on doing anything similar to the LED lighting effect I would need LSP?  I thought I read that Vixen doesn't handle smart LEDs very well.  Is this correct?

Thanks for the input! 

@zwiller - those flood lights look good.  Will probably have to get a few seeing the price!  What Lynx hardware is best to control those?

@Pete - Awesome job on the lights!   Which equipment from here are you using for the LED flexstrips?

Thanks,
Shannon

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, »
I was thinking 250 watt work lights

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, »

@Pete - Awesome job on the lights!   Which equipment from here are you using for the LED flexstrips?

Thanks,
Shannon

I'm using Laptop -> Wired Access Point -> Etherdongle -> Two 16 Port Active Hubs -> 24 Smart String Controllers -> LED Flexstrips from Ray Wu

For the "light sticks" one D-Light AC16 Controller converted to DMX from Active Hub1

For the Main Pumpkin Singer and spotlights one D-Light AC16 Controller converted to DMX controlled from Active Hub 2

But I now also have a Conductor sitting on the Etherdongle. That combination works brilliantly!!!!

Offline injury

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, »
Thanks everyone for the relies.  So if I plan on doing anything similar to the LED lighting effect I would need LSP?  I thought I read that Vixen doesn't handle smart LEDs very well.  Is this correct?

Vixen 2.0 isn't RGB "friendly" but Vixen 3 is being worked on. You could get it done in Vixen 2.0 just would take more work. Just about any lighting software will get you there though Vixen , HLS, LSP, LOR, Madrix, probably some more.

Effect looks like what I call a set length chase. X numbers of pixels of a color faded to off running down the line.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, »

@zwiller - those flood lights look good.  Will probably have to get a few seeing the price!  What Lynx hardware is best to control those?

MR16 would be perfect.  I am just guessing about this fixture.  Personally I feel that whatever he's using are too bright.  I doubt they are work lights as they would be even slower to respond to sequencing.  I have some 10W LED spots that I am trying this year You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and I am rather impressed with the output for being only 10 watts. 

Just be cautious with this kind of thing.  I don't think neighbors would like it and also traffic could be affected.  The lights and effect are nicknamed blinders for a reason.   
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline tallan

• Christmas with the Allans
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, »

Vixen 2.0 isn't RGB "friendly" but Vixen 3 is being worked on. You could get it done in Vixen 2.0 just would take more work.

Well I have not seen the effect you are talking about and vixen 2.0 is not real rgb friendly but tools like Nutcracker has made it much easier to create some really nice rgb effects. I was playing with it last night now that some of the smart string are up and was really impressed how they looked live not to mention the time savings. :)  a donation will be heading his way later.  ;)

Ted

Offline NewfieGuy

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, »

MR16 would be perfect.  I am just guessing about this fixture.  Personally I feel that whatever he's using are too bright.  I doubt they are work lights as they would be even slower to respond to sequencing.  I have some 10W LED spots that I am trying this year You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and I am rather impressed with the output for being only 10 watts. 

Just be cautious with this kind of thing.  I don't think neighbors would like it and also traffic could be affected.  The lights and effect are nicknamed blinders for a reason.   

Thanks.  Yeah I can imagine that the lights can be blinding.  It adds such a dramatic effect though that works really well.   Hopefully by the time I'm ready to create a display we'll be in our new house which is located with only family as neighbours! :-)   

Shannon

Offline NewfieGuy

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, »
Anyone know of which type of smart strings that might have been used?

Something like this (that's listed in the wiki)?

OR is it something like RGB smart string Flex Strips?

If you have a link of the best led light to use to outline my house and create the effect that indicated in my original post I'd appreciate it.  :-)

Thanks!
Shannon

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, »
I think that's "Cracker's" display.  LOR forum user and dealer.  My guess is the smart string looking stuff are LOR CCR's.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, »
Yes that was mostly LOR CCR's and a few Dumb Flex Strips. The Smartstring flex strips are similar to LOR CCR's.

Offline NewfieGuy

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, »
Yes that was mostly LOR CCR's and a few Dumb Flex Strips. The Smartstring flex strips are similar to LOR CCR's.

Ok, So the pixel strings in the equipment section in the wiki wouldn't be any good?

Shannon