Author Topic: C compiler for Pic and basic knowledge inputs from sages in DIYLA  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
Hello all.

I am really interested in learning to program in C exclusively for working with microcontrollers.  My plan is to incorporate a microcontroller in controlling LEDs for a Ghostbuster proton pack and wand that I would like to make for Holloween.  Also, if I can get all the lights blinking from a couple of PICs as opposed to individual components it would be more cost effective IMHO.  The only problem is that I don't have an idea on where to start or what compiler I can get on a budget as I don't have too much cash flow these days (Kids are expensive). Are there any Guru's out there that could recomend a good book for a newb in PICs that I can get my hands to start learning the process?

Also, one more question would be should I look into assembler or C?  I have heard that C is a lot more easy to learn.

Please let me know your thoughts.

P.S. I have been to Amazon and looked up a couple of books, but nothing seems to appeal to me. 
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
I started off with an Arduino. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, by TexasStingray »
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Microchip has a lot of free info plus their mplab is a complier which you might already have on your computer if you have a pickit

also search google for pic programming and there is a lot of sites. Cheaper then buying a book

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline MazdaFan

• Sardinia, Indiana
+1 on the Arduino.

If you are looking for a free compiler there are several options.

Micro usually sends one out with their PicIt3s (not sure about the PicIt2s) but its also downloadable at

If you go the Arduino direction then you can download their software here:
Its not "C" per se, but still allows for easy programming of their microcontroller/prototyping boards

And of course there is the ol standby, the GNU C compiler (Its not just for Linux anymore!  ;) ) available here:

You can match the GCC with Code::Blocks (again, free) for an IDE that can be used with most ANY compiler (C, Pascal, VBasic)

As you can see, there are a lot of options out there!
Hope this helps!

Jamie Tomlinson
Sardinia, Indiana
--
When you can keep your head when all others are losing theirs,
you clearly don't understand the problem!

Offline MazdaFan

• Sardinia, Indiana
Oh, as for books...   Try Here:

Cheers!
Jamie Tomlinson
Sardinia, Indiana
--
When you can keep your head when all others are losing theirs,
you clearly don't understand the problem!

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
Thank you all.  I will take the information under consideration and who would have thunk it that I have the MPLAB (I have a pickit 2 (clone) and a Pickit 3 (legit).  I never really thought that was a compiler for C as I thought it was for assembly for some reason.  I will look into that thanks for that little pearl of wisdom Rrowan.

For some reason I am hestitant about the Arduino class of prototyping just now.  I figured I wanted to learn C and how it interacts with a pic before I tried something with Arduino.

I will look at the book selection for Amazon.  My search criteria was PIC programming with C, but I would have never thought of embedded C.  I will try my luck with that thanks Mazdafan.

Thank you all!
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪