Author Topic: dongle  (Read 1082 times)

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
dongle
« on: July 04, 2013, »
I have a ver 2 dongle and I think its only 512 channels. Can I reflash the dongle to get the 4096 channels?
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline keitha43

Re: dongle
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, »
Yes. The usb dongle can either do 512 channels of dmx or 4096 channels of pixelnet depending on the firmware you flash available in the WIKI.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, »
That's what I thought. Just now playing with the pickit.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, »
When I set up the starting number for lynx and ss, I have 14 le's and the rest ss, should I set the first 224 channels for the le's and then start at 225 for the ss's ? I am using a pixelnet dongle.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, »
You can. I have 8 LOR's running in DMX mode and a few Aether floods. So they take up my first 124 channels. I then pad a few extra channels in case of future expansion of DMX devices and then start my smartstring channels. Remember each smartstring pixel is going to use 3 channels unless using in string mode so you may not want any "padding" or you may run out of channels using a usb pixelnet dongle.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, »
I only have 1125 ss nodes so I'm within my limits of the dongle.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, »
The reason I pad mine is it easily allows expansion so I don't have to reprogram the start channels of all my SSC's if I add something.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, »
Which makes sense. I'm not gonna add any more le's. I'm only gonna add ss to the display so if I add to much more then I'm gonna need an ed.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, »
Don't think only about what you have now or what you plan for next year.  I have found that new and interesting products crop up all the time every year.  They may be DMX or they may be pixels.  What you should be thinking about here is your sequences.  If you set up your sequence for 124 DMX and start your SS at 125 and then in the future you add a few more DMX channels you will have to redo all your sequences.  With 4096 channels on the USB dongle, you have lots of room to spare.  I leave the first 512 for DMX even though my DMX channel count dropped last year.  But I had to go to an etherdongle and two active hubs in 2012.  You may even leave blank pixelnet channels because it leave room for expansion and in my case I did not want my pixel tree to span two hubs so I had to start it at 4097 anyway.  My point is that channels don't have to be densely packed at the beginning of a universe.  You may find out that it was a bad choice in the future and the real penalty will come in redoing your existing sequences for a new layout with additional elements.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA