Author Topic: Halloween 2013 - Who's working on something new?  (Read 2025 times)

Offline peteandvanessa

I've build three 6 foot by 6 foot Singers out of LED rope light for Halloween 2013.

Anyone have new elements for Halloween this year?

I've just finished this song:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And I'm currently sequencing this one:

What's everyone working on?

Offline tbone321

Re: Halloween 2013 - Who's working on something new?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, »
I am building a pumpkin patch that will consist of about 16 jackolanterns of different sizes.  They will be set up with a smart string controller or two, depending on the nodes I need to light them up. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline LtKadeo

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, »
Been thinking about some ghost for my display - would like to make a Y set up with pvc. The top would have string pulling the ends together so it would be more like a champagne glass shape - from the string would hang a figure - on the inside of the glass would be dumb string rgb lights. Not sure if I am going to make it lift up yet but this may turn into dull duties if I can have the figure change to toy solder for XMass - just in the thinking stage at this point have not layout anything yet ....
Ted K

Offline typoagain

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, »
Been thinking about some ghost for my display - would like to make a Y set up with pvc. The top would have string pulling the ends together so it would be more like a champagne glass shape - from the string would hang a figure - on the inside of the glass would be dumb string rgb lights. Not sure if I am going to make it lift up yet but this may turn into dull duties if I can have the figure change to toy solder for XMass - just in the thinking stage at this point have not layout anything yet ....
Ted K
It sound very similer to a flying crank ghost. Google it. There are quite a few videos of one out there.
One of the new guys in Odessa TX.

Offline thestig

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, »
Just logged back in after a good 6 month hiatus. I will be lining the house with smart string flex strips and sequencing new songs. I will also be repainting my custom made tombstones white so they reflect light better. They looked awesome during the day but not at night. This years song of choice that I have a feeling a few will use is fall out boy "light em up".

I also will change up my format to 30 seconds per song with a custom audio mix. I find 4 minute + songs tend to become boring. I also need to stop traffic jams so I will be doing a 10 minute show that loops.

Grant

Test of last years party rock... the kids seemed to enjoy it.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, by thestig »

Offline LtKadeo

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, »
It sound very similer to a flying crank ghost. Google it. There are quite a few videos of one out there.

Was not even thinking of a FCG but sure you could if you wanted to - looking more like something from the Disney Haunted House ghost that was just a figure on a black fabric moving to a fan - was going to not have a fan and leave to wind do that for me - Most of my stuff is out for a few days and never sure what the weather will be in WI rain snow ect So I have to try and make things that can stand up to elements and not have lots of mechanical movements. FCG almost pulled the dish reciever off the house
Ted K

Offline typoagain

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, »
I have put my FCG outside but wend was an issue. But 40-60 mph winds are not uncommon in west Texas. I use a wiper motor so rain is not really an issue.

Last year I hung her inside a large window in front of the house and I think she actually looked better.

I am thinking of hanging half a dozen little (12" tall) ghosts from the trees next year, but once again I am worried about the wind.

My big project each year is actually not for the house, but for a pumpkin decorating contest at work. (We tend to get REALLY competitive!)

This year I am thinking of doing a variation of the old pumpkin sitting on a toilet and pooping pumpkin pies. But I am thinking a small outhouse, with a pump and orange water and sound effects, all triggered by a PIR switch. Maybe even putting a vent pipe on the roof, filling it with water and then putting one of those tiny little misters. I was over-all champion last year for the first time and has ever won it 2 years in a row.
One of the new guys in Odessa TX.

Offline towtruck

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, »
This will be my first year with this stuff :)

I planted a pumpkin patch in hopes to have some 'free' props.  I am also saving 1 gallon milk jugs for my daughter's class to draw faces/decorate.  My plan is to build some wooden bases with leds mounted to sit these all on and string them around the yard.  I'll try my hand at sequencing them.

I am hoping to build a talking face using this old cedar stump as a base/mount support.

drlucas has pointed out it would do a a Charlie Brown Christmas tree.  :-\

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, »
I have an RGB Halloween project leftover from last year.  Time ran out and I wasn't able to finish.  I just started a new job so my time has been stretched a little thin.  I'll post pics this year though.

What songs are on everyone's playlist this year?

My display is more of a Halloween themed Christmas display so it's inviting to the neighborhood trick or treaters.  I have songs like Phantom of the Opera, Grim Grinning Ghosts, XFiles and Ghost Whisperer Themes, an overture from Nightmare Before Christmas.  I'm thinking of adding Ghost Riders in the Sky (Dick Dale or Johnny Cash's version).  There's always Monster Mash or Purple People Eater too.  I'm just always interested to hear about the sequences/songs others do for Halloween.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, by mms »
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline MazdaFan

• Sardinia, Indiana
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, »
Won't happen this year, but I'm looking at doing a Halloween display next year. (Spent my budget on controllers and lights this year)

A Click PLC for animation

I can add an A/C input/Output module and actually control it using my standard controllers and ladder logic.

For about $150 I can have a pretty awesome animation setup.

As for songs, I'm thinking about doing songs from Alice Cooper's "Welcome to My Nightmare", or going with a theme.  "The Creeper" by Molly Hatchet, "I'm a Midnight Creeper" by Eddie "Cleanhead" Vincent, "Creepin'" by Here Come the Mummies, "Meet the Creeper" by Rob Zombie, etc.

Jamie
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, by MazdaFan »
Jamie Tomlinson
Sardinia, Indiana
--
When you can keep your head when all others are losing theirs,
you clearly don't understand the problem!

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, »
I have an RGB Halloween project leftover from last year.  Time ran out and I wasn't able to finish.  I just started a new job so my time has been stretched a little thin.  I'll post pics this year though.

What songs are on everyone's playlist this year?

My display is more of a Halloween themed Christmas display so it's inviting to the neighborhood trick or treaters.  I have songs like Phantom of the Opera, Grim Grinning Ghosts, XFiles and Ghost Whisperer Themes, an overture from Nightmare Before Christmas.  I'm thinking of adding Ghost Riders in the Sky (Dick Dale or Johnny Cash's version).  There's always Monster Mash or Purple People Eater too.  I'm just always interested to hear about the sequences/songs others do for Halloween.

Mine's Pirate themed so I have sequenced these:

1. You Are A Pirate:

2. Wolves Of The Sea:

3. Talk Like A Pirate:

Others I have sequenced and plan to use this year:

4. Wubbzy Halloween:

5. Disney's Halloween Mansion:

Also have Monster Mash, Ghost Busters and Who's Watching Me

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, »
Ghostbusters!  I always forget about that one!  I'll take a look at your videos when I get home.

Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login