Author Topic: COAX Question  (Read 1361 times)

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
  • Jim and his sidekick Tiger
    • Wright's Lights
COAX Question
« on: September 03, 2011, »
I am trying to put an extension antenna on my WiFi router. The antenna (amped 14dBi Directional WiFi Antenna) uses a N-Type connector. I need to make a coax run of 50 feet. Can anyone tell me what kind of coax to use? Amped doesn't seem to give out the information (I guess because they want to sell their coax to me, but all they have is 25 foot lengths). All they say is S coax 230, which does not mean anything to me. Can anyone give me the RG number of a readily available RF coax that will work?
Thanks
Jim Wright
Jim Wright

Offline Lucas

Re: COAX Question
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, »
Jim, unless you get expensive cable the loss per foot of cable x 50 might cancel out all the gain you get from the antenna.

In situations where the anntenna needs to be moved that far people often suggest moving the whole router, then running data and/or power back with cheaper cat5 cable.

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, »
Thanks. I understand the problem. If I have to, I will put a power booster on it to boost the power back up. I still need to figure out what coax to use. Jim Wright
Jim Wright

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, »
The problem is that a power booster would not be available as this antenna needs to receive as well as transmitt.  The problem is probably more of a receive issue than a transmitt one and is probably why the max length listed is 25 feet.  Why can't you just move the router as suggested?  Another idea would be to purchase a cheap second router and configure it as an access point.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, »
Two reasons. The main one is that there is no power in the attic. I guess that I could run something up there and put the wireless router up there. The second is that I have all of my Ethernet cabling home run to one place in the basement. So I have to keep my main router down there.
Jim Wright

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, »
you could add a second router daisey chained off the first.   

Offline gophergrove

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, »
How about a plain small switch in basement, run ethernet to highest location in house where there is power and (phone/cable) and put the router there?

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, by gophergrove »

Offline caretaker

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, »
Jim,
   Coax 320 is 75 ohm coax cable and can be RG6 or RG59  the 320 refers to the diameter .320.   If your going to use 50 feet of coax make sure you buy the best quality you can to help with any loss from length. Another option would be to run a net work cable to the attic along with a extension for the power cable for a  wireless access point. that way all your blinky/flashy can be on a separate address from the rest of the wireless devices in your house.  Wireless access points can be had for about $34 and up.     
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline wftxlites

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, »
Since we are DIYers you might find this interesting.
You can build a 12db antenna out of a Pringles potato chip can for 802.11 WiFi.

Just Google Pringles can antenna.  You can find all info/calculations to build one for less than $7.

Have fun!

Greg

Offline tpctech

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, »
I extend WIFI antennas all the time for a 50 ft run we use LMR400 coax with N connectors from Times Wire.  This is available from most two-way radio shops.   

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, »
Thanks to everyone. I am working on it and will let you know what happens when I get it all working (this week I hope). Jim Wright
Jim Wright

Offline Greg

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I extend WIFI antennas all the time for a 50 ft run we use LMR400 coax with N connectors from Times Wire.  This is available from most two-way radio shops.   

...and I was going to suggest a run of elliptical wave guide, guess I've never outgrown the "plumber's delight" aspects of GHz RF transmission systems...

....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, »
I agree. Waveguide is so much fun to install. I still remember what we used to clean it out with. Also, an update. I gave up. I installed a wireless repeater in the attic. The network is now working great. Thanks to all for your help and suggestions. Jim Wright
Jim Wright

Offline memphislights

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, »
You can also try...

1.  running a single CAT5/6 cable up to the attic, and use a POE injector to power the router You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
2.  creating a wireless bridge/repeater with a DD-WRT/Tomato compatible router
It's not about more, it's about enough.