Author Topic: Titanium ring  (Read 861 times)

Offline rimist

Titanium ring
« on: November 20, 2011, »
Does anyone else have a titanium ring? I just got one for my 21st anniversary ten days ago, it wasn't supposed to scratch and it was supposed to be hypoallergenic. In just a few days without doing anything special it had scratches, and now i moved it because it was itching to find i have two blisters forming!

- Rimist

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, by rimist »
- Rimist

Offline nvizzini

Re: Titanium ring
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, »
I had one and wore it for several years until i lost it
never had a problem with it. my wife got me a titanium chain to hole my ring when i had my hands inside a computer or some other electronic gear, it was rhodium coated and that started coming off. also titanium is not shiny. my wife also told me that the ring was aircraft grade and the chain was not.
this may help you explain why you had a problem

Nicholas
Nicholas-Foster
Houston, TX

Offline rimist

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, »
The ring is shinier than my watch, so I expect it is rhodium plated, which certainly would explain why it scratches.

I didn't think I'm allergic to rhodium, but maybe I am. Thanks for the info.

- Rimist

- Rimist

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, »
I have a stainless ring if I do not take it off for a shower or  wash my hands tomany times without taking it off I will get a blister or two and it will it bad.

Offline robelent

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, »
I have been in the jewelry biz for over 5 years.  Titanium rings WILL scratch, and actually scratch very easily, tungsten carbide rings are the only true scratch proof rings.  As for the irritation under the ring, I have seen just a couple of causes over the years of someone breaking out from the titanium, it is more likely that it is from moisture or bacteria under your ring, stop wearing it till your finger heals, then make sure you clean and dry it very well before putting it back on, if it happens again try coating the inside with clear finger nail polish.  Good Luck.

Offline rimist

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, »
Thanks for the info robelent. I thought about it, since i have had a titanium watch for many years I doubt I'm allergic. the bacteria or moisture makes sense though, seeing as I'm always washing my hands due to my daughter's health issues.

- Rimist

- Rimist