Author Topic: RGB rope light  (Read 1495 times)

Offline therealbigjim

RGB rope light
« on: March 24, 2012, »
Has anyone worked with any RGB rope light? Dumb or other wise. I have several wire frames (stars and an exploding star) that I made and with the talk about how fragile the RGB flex strips are I was wondering it that is even an option. 
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"
        You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline txburr

RGB rope light
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, »
I have been thinking the same thing but have not yet ordered any to test

Offline urthegman

Re: RGB rope light
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, »
I have been meaning to post this as something I would like to see, I'm glad you put a voice to it for me. I would like to see it as rope light as opposed to using flexible strip so that the light would be visible from all angles. It may exist already, I have to admit I haven't done my homework on it. George

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, »
Rope light can be difficult with RGB.  Most of it is flat which makes it really just another flexable strip.  Another issue with many of them is that although they are RGB, they do it with separate Red, Green, and Blue LED's which prevents true color blending.  I doubt that you would find smart rope lights due to the difficulty getting the circuitry to flex in all possible directions like a round rope light does.  You also have to watch the voltage as they are all over the place with these. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, »
I saw the 4 wire flat stuff but there is also some round....not looking to blend the colors so much as just to have red blue or green...I have seen one member using nodes on a wire frame but cost is getting me. I may look in to the coro option if I can find a reasonable price for the raw sheets.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline caretaker

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, »
Most of the RGB rope light I have seen would be OK to use with the MR16 (as long as you don't exceed it's amperage limit.) It is harder to find the actual rope light, mostly you will find the flat flexible strips.
Jeff Squires

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, »
The Dumb string controller that is in testing will run them if they are common anode and do not exceed the current. Think of it as a ssc for lights without chips on them where the leds are all controlled at the same time. So it is a blend of a SSC and a MR16 if you will to run 4 wires rgb items. 

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, »
The Dumb string controller that is in testing will run them if they are common anode and do not exceed the current. Think of it as a ssc for lights without chips on them where the leds are all controlled at the same time. So it is a blend of a SSC and a MR16 if you will to run 4 wires rgb items. 

RJ

I likey, likey  <;d

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, »
Kewl! <res.
R,
Tony "C"

Offline Zeph

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, »
Round RGB rope light is available in incandescent and LED - just do a search and you'll find several vendors.

Lots of it is oriented to 120 mains power, so I suspect a LE could control (dim) it as 3 AC channels.  You can thinkof it as just an incan or LED string like you get at K-Mart except housed differently. 

But like those forms, it's limited in where you can cut it since the bulbs/LEDs in a segment must add up to 120v FOR EACH COLOR.  However, the big sites sell it in 150' rolls and you are expected to cut segments and attach connectors.

There's also DC stuff if you look around.  You'll have to explore that.

And yes, the R, G, and B are separate lights, so it does not do color blending like true RGB lights; it's more like a Red + Green + Blue multistrand.