Author Topic: New Wiki Page for Academy basic info and presentations  (Read 3194 times)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Hi Folks,

I have a bare bones page started and I would LOVE for people who attended/presented to either add (correct my mistakes  <fp.) or send me the info to to fill the wiki with Great info.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Btw: I added a link to the main wiki page to the Academy page under the Beginner column.

Thanks

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Ryan Johnson

Sounds great Rick.  Love that idea.

Just two reminders to everyone.  We don't have many rules about the Academy but, just like here on DLA, there are some things that are "deal breakers" in terms of educational material:

1.  Regardless of forum affiliation, NO ONE owns the presenters' material from the Academy except the instructors themselves.  If someone does not share their info, for whatever reason, that's a decision all of the attendees (and those who chose not to attend) need to respect. 

2.  NO Academy materials may be used in another event without the permission of the instructor (not LSH or DLA- only the instructor can give that permission).  Over the past 5 years we have unfortunately had some presentations taken directly from the web and used elsewhere, sometimes with NO changes.  It's disrespectful and wrong to do that.  The tenured LSH Academy presenters have gotten hit with this and it will inevidently happen to DLA presenters as well.  I can say for me personally that I share my class info (and I've taught over a dozen Academy classes myself) but a few times when I find it copied verbatum on some other site or event it makes me VERY angry (and you all got to meet me and see me talk to the attendees in general session so you know I'm not easily made angry- I'll laugh at pretty much anything!)  For the instructors- remember that if you do find things were used without your permission on other sites, forums or events, Lone Star Holidays is not a loose forum.  We're a company that contracted the event and we'll do whatever we can to help protect your rights and materials.  Let me know if that happens and we'll all put our heads together and kill... I mean try to reason with... those who disrespect your hard work by snagging your presentations.

Thanks to ALL of the instructors from Lone Star Holidays, DIY Light Animation, DFW Friends of Halloween/Haunted House Central, and all of the other places.  You folks ROCK!

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
Great idea Rick!

Ryan that is too bad that people have to be that way! Thanks for the great information and letting the DLA community join yours!  <res.  <res.

Offline Ryan Johnson

Great idea Rick!

Ryan that is too bad that people have to be that way! Thanks for the great information and letting the DLA community join yours!  <res.  <res.

No problem or thanks necessary on "letting" anyone join the community- we ALL did the Academy this year.  While LSH handled the event logistics (which is why RJ wanted to join forces in the first place) and certain tracks, we all made an amazing event TOGETHER.  Quite honestly, if anyone in the residential Christmas community can find a better, more well run, loaded educationally, vendors on hand, social and fun event I'd like to see it.  And for $60-$70??  I would wish them good luck on that search!  LOL

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Hi Ryan

I totally understand and can appreciate the rules. In the past we have had a commercial site copy and paste a section of the wiki after I spent hours working on it. So I know the feeling. I don't believe I can stop people from copying info but if I do find it anywhere again I will let you and the original author know about it.

Everyone seems very please and excited about this years show. I truly hope I can attend next year. If the dates are true for July it will start one day after my birthday. Sounds like a nice present

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline ms5435

Rick, thanks for this.  It's great to have access to the info from the Academy!  Hopefully there will be more coming soon!

Offline Ryan Johnson

Hi Ryan

I totally understand and can appreciate the rules. In the past we have had a commercial site copy and paste a section of the wiki after I spent hours working on it. So I know the feeling. I don't believe I can stop people from copying info but if I do find it anywhere again I will let you and the original author know about it.

Everyone seems very please and excited about this years show. I truly hope I can attend next year. If the dates are true for July it will start one day after my birthday. Sounds like a nice present

Rick R.

Rick-

Definately would like to see you there Rick.  I enjoyed meeting a lot of the DLA crew and appreciated how many came up and said "thank you" to me.  I think the 2012 Academy did more to unite the holiday decorating community than any other event.  Ever. 

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
Ryan Johnson... I think that guy owes me money!!

*grin*

I will try to post my (insert colorful adjective here) presentation later

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Ryan Johnson

*grin*

Kurt

Why would I owe you money?  I got you a locksmith and on the road on time didn't I??  <res.

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
david moore posted the links to his coro presentations here

i went to one of his classes, they were very good.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  The Amazing World of Coro
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   Black or white coro - which is best?

I assume david is fine with getting his links posted here, david?
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Nice Corro Presentation.

I have used Corroplast to making buildings for my train layout.

Rick R.

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions

*grin*

Kurt

Why would I owe you money?  I got you a locksmith and on the road on time didn't I??  <res.

DOH!!! I was trying to forget about locking my stinking rental car keys in the trunk!!!  What kinda idiot does that?!?!?  BTW, much thanks for that info.  We need to have that wrecking company be an official sponsor of the Academy  ;D
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login