Author Topic: Heatshrink tubing size?  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Heinekenator

Heatshrink tubing size?
« on: February 07, 2012, »
Hello.

Im looking to purchase heatshrink tubing for dumb 5050 rgb strips being used with MR16 controllers. Any recommendations for heatshrink tubing sizes for the various solder connections, including individual wires, sheathed multiconductor cables (cat5 and/or security wire, 4 conductor waterproof connectors, etc.), and actually going completely over the ends of the strips? And, any recommended place to buy?

Thank you in advance.

-Greg

Offline rimist

Re: Heatshrink tubing size?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, »
I bought some from mouser when I was buying other parts. Four foot long sections under a dollar each. I use 3/16" often, but also have an assortment I bought from the Oldsmar flea market.

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login has good prices.  they have 4' pieces for as low as $0.69.  They have spools.  I purchased 2 bundles of various sizes and they came quickly.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, »
I only buy it 100' at a time.  eBay is sometimes another place to look.

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, »
Wow, MPJA is pretty cheap for shrink tubing.
How is the quality on that.

-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wow, MPJA is pretty cheap for shrink tubing.
How is the quality on that.

I buy reels and it is cheap! and I have never had any issue with it. I feel it is not as nice as the high dollar adhesive tubing but I use it and like it.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, »
I have been using this brand.  I bought about 6 roles of varying sizes over the past couple years from different vendors.  I like it, but I don't have anything different to compare it to.  I have built a lot of toys with it.

Offline Heinekenator

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, »
Thanks for the feedback! In regards to making waterproof connections, is the adhesive version (or double-wall?) absolutely necessary?)

-Greg

Offline Heinekenator

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, »
Just a bump to get some feedback. If I have 4 wires coming off of a dumb RGB strip, and would like to solder a waterproof 4-pin connector onto it, can I use non-waterproof tubing for the 4 individual wires, and then a single larger piece of waterproof/adhesived to go over thatas sheathing? Or is that overkill?

Thanks.

-Greg

Offline alwomack

• Al Womack
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, »
Is there really such a thing as overkill? If there is a possibility of damage, I always err on the side of caution.
Overengineering? Maybe.
Sleep better at night? Yes
....in a world of Pure imagination.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, »
One way I make waterproof splices in the field is take a piece of shrink tube slide it over the wire and after I crimp the connection I cover it with silicone and slide the heat shrink tube over the splice and shrink it down. The silicone will ooze out the end of the shrink tube and provide the waterproof seal.
Jeff Squires

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, »
One way I make waterproof splices in the field is take a piece of shrink tube slide it over the wire and after I crimp the connection I cover it with silicone and slide the heat shrink tube over the splice and shrink it down. The silicone will ooze out the end of the shrink tube and provide the waterproof seal.

Another way similar to above is use Low Melt craft Hot Glue, place some around the parts, slide the shrink tubing over it and immediately shrink it. The low melt being warm and the additional heat will make it ooze. If you take it apart you will find it conforms to everything inside the shrink tubing and adheres to the inside of the shrink tubing also.

Being in Texas, we get a lot of rain and not a lot of snow, but then again my lights are not on the ground standing in water or snow.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, »
Will my wife's hair dryer work, or do I need something hotter to shrink the tubing? >:D

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, »
You can use a match or even carefully run a hot soldering iron over the length, but a hot air gun works the best.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, »
I bought this heat gun from MPJA and its awesome ... very hot ... have to be careful to not turn it up too high.

Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]