Author Topic: New SSC  (Read 49293 times)

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
Re: New SSC
« Reply #180 on: April 22, 2013, »
If it makes any difference I am trying to break something else, but so far cannot! Someone else may need to try!  <res.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #181 on: April 22, 2013, »
OK I spoke too soon. Now if I program Hybrid\120 nodes\0 nulls\1 grouping\ flex

I get no lights at all. I thought that maybe I broke Xlights so I reflashed with the v6 firmware rebooted and tried again.... nothing, reprogrammed back to 5 nulls and started working again. Don't know if it is me or another issue. Can someone else verify?  If I program any nulls I get lights.

BTW Cannot get it to work Forwards or Backwards with no nulls.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, by rdebolt »

Offline zwiller

« Reply #182 on: April 22, 2013, »
I am having issues and can't pin it down yet.  Is V6 hybrid, null + group firmware only?  I like to warm up testing by starting with simple things and then move to advanced stuff and can't get much of the simpler stuff to work...  Plain ol hybrid does not work for me, nor does 3 channel string. 

Pickit 3 F0F1 checksum.  Program flashes but no blinky.  Tried reflashing pic several times.  Reflashed v5 firmware and works as expected. 

That said, I can test hybrid with nulls and groups with v6?!

IE:
hybrid, 10 nulls, 45 group: CHECK!
hybrid, backward, 10 nulls, 45 group: CHECK!
hybrid, backward, 10 nulls, 5 group: CHECK!

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #183 on: April 22, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am having issues and can't pin it down yet.  Is V6 hybrid, null + group firmware only?  I like to warm up testing by starting with simple things and then move to advanced stuff and can't get much of the simpler stuff to work...  Plain ol hybrid does not work for me, nor does 3 channel string. 

Pickit 3 F0F1 checksum.  Program flashes but no blinky.  Tried reflashing pic several times.  Reflashed v5 firmware and works as expected. 

That said, I can test hybrid with nulls and groups with v6?!

IE:
hybrid, 10 nulls, 45 group: CHECK!
hybrid, backward, 10 nulls, 45 group: CHECK!
hybrid, backward, 10 nulls, 5 group: CHECK!

Sam I can get 3 channel working fine for me. Same check sum.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, by rdebolt »

Offline zwiller

« Reply #184 on: April 22, 2013, »
3 channel string and hybrid only work for me with nulls. 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #185 on: April 22, 2013, »
3 channel string and hybrid only work for me with nulls. 

You are correct, I must have had a null programmed. Does not work without a null AND even with a (1)  Null they ALL light! There is no null

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: April 22, 2013, »
Ouch!

Oh Man! Ok I must of not tried it with no nuls after the changes. I will hit it again tommorrow. Been working on Conductor code so bed time.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline zwiller

« Reply #187 on: April 22, 2013, »
Ok.  Long day for me too... 

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #188 on: April 22, 2013, »
I can't walk so I can keep going!!! >:D

Good night guys!

Offline youngberg1950

« Reply #189 on: April 23, 2013, »
RJ,

Thank you for keeping this beta testing thread open for all us to follow! I've learned more about how the SSC works by following this then I have found else where.

Sorry for the hijack... keep up the great work! <res.
Doug

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #190 on: April 23, 2013, »
No problem it is really not an official beta but it works. most members do not know the time put in to the stuff by those that help. they do a lot of work for us and the stuff only goes out when they say it is ready in a real coop. Does not mean there will be no issues, just means they are not able to get it to fail. once you release you still find stuff. Look at the conductor, until everyone started trying it we did not know certain FM transmitters, speakers would cause issues. None of the beta guys had any of the ones creating the issues. We found a fix for it now. And once the new firmware is released it should be a more mature item. So What I am saying is in the end the members finish the beta testing. There is no way all issue can be found even in a large beta. Everyone uses different setups.

The SSC v4 is the same we improve until we end up with something no one wants changed. Like the V5 express.

RJ

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline zwiller

« Reply #191 on: April 23, 2013, »
I think we are approaching or have met diminishing returns with the SSCv4.  At this point I don't see any real differences in my favorite SSCv3.1 and v5 but I have yet to hook them up side by side (which I will do).  If there are differences they will likely be minor.  I think many of the things RJ has been challenged with the SSC were out of his control, like evolving supplies/part changes in smart gear made by the factory in China. 

What's funny about this "beta" is I expected to be desoldering resistors, swapping parts, cutting traces, and instead it's more or less a firmware thing so the hardware itself is solid and has been 100% from day one.   <res. 

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #192 on: April 23, 2013, »

What's funny about this "beta" is I expected to be desoldering resistors, swapping parts, cutting traces, and instead it's more or less a firmware thing so the hardware itself is solid and has been 100% from day one.   <res. 

I agree except if we keep going much longer I am going  to need a new 2 pin header and jumper!  ;)  >:D

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: April 23, 2013, »
Hi guys,

Quick question: Has anybody tested the usable length of wire between the SSC and first node?

Thanks

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline zwiller

« Reply #194 on: April 23, 2013, »

I agree except if we keep going much longer I am going  to need a new 2 pin header and jumper!  ;)  >:D

<la..

I could probably program an ssc blindfolded if the program utility was tab friendly...

The cool part about this is last year programming was a long arduous process/learning experience and this year it will be simple as I have a much better understanding of it. 

Rick, happy to test it out distance.  Trying to figure best way to test/minimizing wire loss.  Maybe start out at 24' and cut 2' off and retest?